Which do you think is the most well-built console?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
Over the years, I've found that manufacturing standards have dropped. Newer consoles tend to break easier but that's understandable as they have more moving parts than their older counterparts. Nintendo still seems to produce the most robust consoles in today's market although I've read reports of burning Wii's and Wii U's.

Since I own plenty of older consoles that date back at least 20+ years, I've found that my trusty Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo Super Famicom, Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn to be among the most well-built consoles I own. Granted, I haven't abused them too much but I've never experienced any problems with either system.

What has your experience been like?

The oldest console I've ever owned is the original PlayStation, which I accidentally broke at four years old. I'm pretty sure I've spilled coke on my Nintendo 64 and it still worked just fine, some of the buttons were sticky though. I accidentally spilled it on my first GameCube and it killed the darn thing.

You know what, the more I think about it, I never had a problem with my Sega Genesis. All of my friends had their old NES break on them after a few months with that weird loader. It reminds me of the early 80s VCR loaders. You insert and press downwards.

The Genesis never had that. My Sega Saturn still works, so that's a good thing. But the Dreamcast did ship and some of the units had to be returned because it did have loading issues. That was at it's initial release. I think for me, the Genesis was a rock solid console. No lose part, or faulty loading of games.

Yeah, the Dreamcast has pretty bad laser reading problems.

Back