Will Nintendo ditch console gaming and move over to mobile gaming?

Artwark

Playing
3DS XL
No risk of that I'd say. Consoles are Nintendo's bread and butter, and SmartPhone games are more of a side-project. Super Mario Run on the iPhone was awesome, and I would buy other smartphone games from Nintendo if they ever made any more that were of game franchises I know and love from Nintendo. (But I'd never want smartphone gaming to fully replace consoles!) Nintendo make console games in ways that no other experience could ever replace! Smartphone games, while fun, are nowhere near as high caliber of an experience (simply due to the fact that consoles are designed specifically for that purpose, so there is alot more you can do with a console that you'll always be alot more limited on in terms of what is physically possible to create on a smartphone).

Sure, you can always add accessories to it in order to give it stuff that a smartphone doesn't have (like physical buttons, and motion controls, etc.). I saw in the Apple store the other day that such accessories already exist. But but being as you'd have to add accessories anyway in order to do that, you might aswell have a proper console that was designed for purpose. So there would be no point. It wouldn't make financial sense for Nintendo to do that either, as they wouldn't be able to sell consoles anymore, and would be just limited to accessories. (also software support is much more of a nightmare in terms of dealing with bugs when games are played on different hardware, whereas when it's designed for one specific console, this is much much easier for a software developer to maintain). So I honesty don't think we've got anything to worry about.

Nintendo Switch is a classic example of the fact that they've still got lots of lovely gimmicks that make their own consoles a little bit more special than anything a standard device could ever offer. They always put special effort into making their consoles more fun than just being a standard box with a bunch of buttons. So while people complain that other manufacturers make higher spec hardware, it's the innovation that always goes into a Nintendo product that makes the whole experience feel so much better than just doing what everyone else does. ;)

Last edited:
iOS and Android could compete with consoles if the software on them ever improves. There are serious limits on memory on both due to artificial constraints by the operating system, and Apple limits developers on iOS by making them own both a Mac AND an iPad to make a game for iPad. If you own a PC and an iPad and not a Mac, still no deal.

I see it as unlikely. They're too old fashioned to consider abandoning what they do for a quick buck, for better or worse.

They don't even care about making money seeing as how they STILL DON'T SELL THEIR MUSIC ON ITUNES OR SOMETHING EVEN THOUGH THEY COULD MAKE TRUCKLOADS BECAUSE THEY'RE SITTING ON A GOLDMINE OF THE GREATEST MUSIC IN GAMING!!!

Ahem. Excuse me.

Sorry, I was wrong about there being artificial constraints on memory. A lot of forums were saying that but I have finally proven it wrong. It's still true about needing both a Mac and an iPad to be an iOS developer though.

Personally, I think console gaming and mobile gaming are two separate beasts - but are interlinked at some point.

Personally, I prefer console gaming much more than mobile gaming. Aside from Fire Emblem Heroes, I have no other game on my Galaxy S7. When I had my iPhone 6 Plus, I only had Mario Run (just upgraded my phone a month ago).

There's a market for both. The issue is that the Wii U was a disaster.

Though I definitely think Nintendo should license their IP more and allow a wider swath of games (both console and mobile) to be produced. If they are worried about disastrous results of licensing (IE: bad quality game), it would be a matter of having set provisions and proper supervision during production.

I think it's too hard to tell with the Switch just released which way Nintendo will go. If the Switch bombs like the Wii U, I bet aside from handheld devices we won't see anything else from Nintendo that isn't mobile.

But I am loving the Switch and hope to see a lot of A+ content being produced for the console.

Depends on the costumer base. But I have to say that I preffer most games on consoles rather then Phone.
I think there still would be consoles but less. it would probably 50/50 or like 60/40.
But we will see about it.

I think they way Nintendo is going now is hybrid. half console & half portable. The Nintendo Switch made that possible.

After having several mobile games released, I will say this; I feel that Nintendo has done a great job at the games they released. I know Mario Run got a ton of hate because it was $10 and not F2P garbage with a ton of micro-transactions. But it was a great game and I'd pay $10 ago to play it. I haven't played Fire Emblem, but I hear good things from it. And Animal Crossing is keeping me entertained.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back