Wipeout 64 vs Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

lindbergh

From
Law Office
Playing
Nintendo DS
Wipeout 64 is a very good space racer that focuses on combat. It was originally released for the PS 1 but was eventually ported to the N64. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer is very similar to Wipeout 64 but with Star Wars characters and locations.

I love both games but I enjoyed Wipeout 64 a lot more especially when I was racing against 3 other friends in 4 player split screen.

Which game do you prefer?

I never played Wipeout 64, however, I did play the PS1 version instead. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of it. I didn't play it much. I played like 2 or 3 laps or so. Not giving it much of a chance. I had kept hearing good things about it, but I didn't bother with it much, to be honest. However, I did play Star Wars Episode 1: Racer on the N64 much more. At first, I thought that it was the exact same game as Wipeout, only with Star Wars characters. So I didn't bother with it much. However, my younger cousins loved it. Tho that didn't sway my opinion on the game. But then, I had some friends who liked the Star Wars version, and started playing that. I'd watch as I'd play on my handheld. However, soon, I started to join in a race or two. And so, I ended up playing it for a bit. And over time, it won me over, and I started playing it more often with my friends. It wasn't the greatest game ever. It wasn't even the best Star Wars game around. But it was fun just the same. After playing the Star Wars version for a while, I went back to play the PS1 version again. But I just wasn't feeling it. I played another lap or two, and just gave up on it. Never went back. Never went back to the Star Wars version either. It's been a long time since I've played those games. But for me, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd easily pick Star Wars over Wipeout. But, to be fair, I never played Wipeout 64, and, I never really gave Wipeout on the PS1 a real chance. Never put the effort towards the game. So it was a bit unfair for the game. But, be that as it may, I'd still have to pick Star Wars.

The Wipeout series has pedigree, it's the only futuristic anti-gravity racer that can stand up to the F-Zero series. I've heard that the former developers of Studio Liverpool have been crowd sourcing funds for a spiritual successor to Wipeout. I watched some early development videos a few months ago and it definitely looks like a Wipeout sequel under a different name.

I haven't played Star Wars Episode 1 Racer but it wouldn't surprise me if Wipeout 64 was superior. Simply because the team behind the entire Wipeout series has always been so damn talented.

I enjoyed Star Wars Episode I: Racer a lot actually, more so than I thought initially. It really managed to capture the speed and intensity of what was probably one of a few good moments from the movie it's based on. It actually became somewhat addicting.

Has anyone ever played the arcade version of SW: Racer? They sat you in a pod racer and you controlled it with levers like Anakin did in TPM. It was surprisingly difficult, but then again I'm not the Chosen One...

Latest threads

Back