Would you buy the NES today?

Demon_skeith

Playing
Nintendo 64
If you were to walk into a store and saw a NES and some old NES games, would you buy it? If you did would you buy it for yourself or for someone else?

Nope. To much loading problems with the original. I may buy the slim down versions and a copy of Shadowgate. That game alone is worth buying a NES.

It would depend on some different factors.

Most prices for the NES would be ridiculous today for the level of gameplay delivered. The game selection would also cost a fair bit of money. And if I was to buy it, I would be buying it for myself. Not as a gift, with that much money. Retro stores;Ebay; even local vendors wouldn't sell them cheaply in today's market. Especially not with original connections and controllers.

Now, to say money is not an object, I would buy them for people as a gift. But even then, probably only if they cost the price they did back in the day in today's market. I'm stingy =/

If the system and games weren't overpriced, everything were shown to be in perfect working order, and the games were ones that I actually like: then I absolutely would buy them!

If money was no object; all my friends would own one. With all the games and contraptions (powerglove, running mats, duck hunt gun, etc) that came with them so we could enjoy a real retro-gaming fest. When you mention retro gaming now, kids are all like "YOU MEAN PS1 RIGHT?"

No. I do not. I mean the real retro. NES. Atari. Stuff like that.

I would absolutely buy one for myself! I have wanted one for quite some time & am always on the look out at yard sales for one.

Even if it didn't work, I would love to take one apart. As a kid it was so mysterious, but all these years later I would actually know what the parts were.

I've also seen really neat projects that people have created using non-working NES consoles. I think the coolest was using a Dremel to clean out the inside to use as a custome PC.

I really wish I didn't sell mine for chickenscratch back when Ebay was becoming popular. I would have been able to resell it or enjoy it again in this age, instead all I have are emulators. Not the same feel, but the same games nonetheless.

I don't have a problem purchasing older vintage consoles. It will largely depend on the condition the system is in. If it's fairly decent condition, I would definitely consider purchasing it. I may even consider giving it as a gift to someone who I feel would appreciate it or should be getting into retro gaming. Currently I'm investigating the local market to see if I can purchase older consoles such as the NES, refurbish and then sell to folks that would be interested in one.

I only have a problem buying older systems is they're super expensive and you barely get a bundle for them. Only on Ebay, in a lot. Maybe then.

Refurbing would be good, and profitable though. Turn around consoles, of all old natures - not just NES - you could make a retro-killing.

@Shimus That seems to be the trend nowadays. Refurbished consoles such as the NES can be sold at a high price point. Many folks who grew up with these consoles now have jobs, they can afford to splash on something that reminds them of their childhoods. I was thinking of doing this as a side-income gig but the retro gaming community is too small in my country. Shipping consoles back and forth across the world is also something that concerns me, as that will inflate the price significantly.

I would buy the NES for my family members. I already have the Original and the Top Loader also the Famicom in my collection. I've been collecting NES games since the 80's I do have close to 300 NES games as of now. and three more NES games coming in the Mail. I have to buy to more shelves to hold more in my collection. The NES is a great system. It revive the Video Games for what they are today.

It would really depend on the price. I remember buying a NES at a garage sale for $10 with two controllers, and I would buy it again at that price for sure, lol! Those deals are far and few in-between though so I don't count on that happening. With the Virtual Console and other means, there's always a way these days to play old NES games. :)

I would definitely buy one if it were in good condition and a fair price, and that seems to be a common answer here. I would also have to say that Yo Noid! would have to be included. I loved that game so much.

It would really depend on the price. I remember buying a NES at a garage sale for $10 with two controllers, and I would buy it again at that price for sure, lol! Those deals are far and few in-between though so I don't count on that happening. With the Virtual Console and other means, there's always a way these days to play old NES games. :)
Unfortunately, the NES and it's games are creeping up in price because so many people are collecting them these day. For someone that just wants to play the core NES titles, they are probably better off just getting a Wii and downloading them from the VC store. It's probably the cheaper option, even though many folks complained that the cost of games on the VC store were high. Unless, someone visits garage sales and flee markets, there is no possibility of finding NES games for dirt-cheap anymore.

You're right @Damien Lee, which is funny because I always felt I'd be able to get a NES fairly easily, but they are getting more and more rare and therefore more expensive. I'm glad I got one (and a replacement part for inside) 8-9 years ago before the surge in popularity.

Yes, simply because I don't have one. I mean, I have a Retron3, but it's not a true NES. I want to play SMB3 on a good ol' toaster. :)

Latest threads

Back