Would you credit the Playstation for the growth of the horror genre?

Esperahol

I've heard it said before that the PlayStation system really brought horror to the game market since both Silent Hill and Resident Evil premired on it. I don't know if I agree with that, but I will say I associate PlayStation with more mature content than I do Nintendo or MS or the defunct Sega. What are your feelings?

Umm, I don't think I agree with this. But I really don't care either, the survival horror genre has been long gone, replaced with mass zombie shooters.

Really? Can you define what you consider to be a survival horror game? Because - zombies do not preclude the existence of one such game. Point in fact - The Last of Us requires scavenging, stealth, and very difficult odds i.e. survival horror. And of course, several coming games as well as a couple of recent releases function off of surviving as well as zombies.

BanjoKazooie said:
the survival horror genre has been long gone, replaced but mass zombie shooters.
I will have to disagree with you here. Which genre will you put games like Amnesia, Slender and Alone in The Dark in? All these games, especially Amnesia has set the benchmark for survival horro genre. It's pretty ignorant of you to say that it's dead when in really it has been revived? Heck, even Capcom stated yesterday that there next RS game is going back to it's roots :)

If I'm not crazy, I believe Dreamcast played a pretty big role in horror/survival gaming? Sadly, I always feel like that system was the little engine that could but ended up couldn'ting. I guess the argument here would be that they relied heavily on the Resident Evil titles but I want to venture the argument that this isn't true. They were dayum popular-but surely not all the Dreamcast had to offer in this arena.

It's funny because I don't actually really remember the Dreamcast. Like I know it was a thing, but I apparently couldn't care less about it. Hence the whole Playstation thing. That said when I think of Playstation I think of not Resident Evil, but of Silent Hill. That's what I mean by survival horror because the earlier games just did not care if you made it like at all.

Well, since I don't really play much horror games, I'd say it seems that the PS has indeed contributed a lot to that genre.

The only horror games I've played were on PC, and they weren't really scary (Undying, F.E.A.R, Doom, Blood etc.)

I loved Undying - it came packaged with my American McGee's Alice. And honestly it was rather great at the whole jump scare thing. That said I played F.E.A.R. on console, but Doom was great on the PC - and the movie wasn't that bad either. I never played Blood - was it actually worth anything?

The original Blood was a badass game :D
You start by waking up from a grave, so that says enough :D
Among other weapons, you had a zippo lighter (to use with dynamite etc.) and the atmosphere of the game was really cool considering it's really old.

Blood 2 was a poor attempt at keeping up with the gaming market. Even though it wasn't the worst game ever, it wasn't the best one either.

Not really. Sony happened to be the place where we got Resident Evil and Silent Hill first, but I think games like that would have eventually happened anyway. With just Nintendo and Sega, the gaming industry continued to grow and it was only a matter of time before someone saw the potential to bring in all types of gamers into the market. Hell, I'm sure if Sony or MS never entered the industry, it still could have happened with just Sega and Nintendo. It may have taken longer, but none of these comapnies are stupid. If they see the potential for more sales, they will work their hardest to tap into it.

I thought Alice and the second were relatively interesting. What was it? Return to madness? I found myself playing those for a minute or two and then began to WANT to play more. Which is a rarity for me. I have to admit the writing in the first beats out the second. But only by a few inches. Which is the case for most games and/or movies.

Yeah the second one was for console and was called "Return to Madness". I actually liked the sequel's story more than I liked the first, but I think the first had better gameplay elements overall.

I thought the growth for the horror gen was E.T for the Atari 2600? lol

Twisted Metal for the PS1 looked very creepy and dark. Like a horror destruction game.

I think why the PS seems more horror geared is because like off the top of my head - Kuon, Siren, Resident Evil (series), Fatal Frame (series), Silent Hill (series), Clock Tower (series),Fear Effect, Haunting Ground, Lifeline, Rule of Rose, Parasite Eve (series), Alone in the Dark (series), Dark Messiah, Galerians, and Juggarnaut. There are more, but that's just a sampling and it's great.

Clock Tower was also released for the SNES. I played the rom, on my laptop. And it Freaked me out. Been looking for Clock Tower SNES cartdridge for awhile. Don't forget about Shadowman for the PS1 & N64. But the first horror games came out for Atari 2600. There was Halloween & The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And Boo Haunted house. I would like to try Fear Effect for the PS1.

Clock Tower was also released for PC if I'm not mistaken. I don't recall Shadowman, but sometimes I just drop out of the gaming sphere all together. As for the Atari horror games... um - I am a audio-visual person who likes a good story and yeah... there's a reason I don't think of the Atari. That said you need to get Fear Effect - it was a great game all told and it's still a nostalgic favorite for me.

Also silent Hill and Fatal Frame AKA Project Zero Freaks me out. I had to sleep with all the lights on. lol

I love Silent Hill because of the depth of it's story and the questions it leads you to ask. I like Fatal Frame because in some ways it's hilarious - Fatal Frame 2 is my absolute favorite unintendional comedy.

Mmm, Yeah.. The PS1 had a plethora of Survival Horror games but the playstation brand wasn't really responsible for it. They were just released for it. If they had come out for the N64 instead we wouldn't even have this thread.. It was just a matter of time and place + Market Share which Sony had most of at the time.

If I'm not crazy, I believe Dreamcast played a pretty big role in horror/survival gaming? Sadly, I always feel like that system was the little engine that could but ended up couldn'ting. I guess the argument here would be that they relied heavily on the Resident Evil titles but I want to venture the argument that this isn't true. They were dayum popular-but surely not all the Dreamcast had to offer in this arena.
I think you'd have more of a leg to stand on if the Dreamcast had actually played more of a role in the console market at the time, never mind an influence upon a specific genre of games, you know? :p

Latest threads

Back