Would you credit the Playstation for the growth of the horror genre?

The Dreamcast had quite a few awesome titles and is one of the easiest to collect when it down to it. It died long before it should have and was way ahead of its time.

Like @jbeavis100 said, the Dreamcast died far too soon so I don't think it can really be said that it was the reason the horror genre was kickstarted. If anything, it'd be Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill, although Resident Evil and Silent Hill had more to do with it I think than AD I'd say

All I can say, it has my all time favorite resident evil title. Code Veronica. :) RE, and SH and especially AITD, without them horror games would not be where they are today.

True I suppose, although didn't Code Veronica come out as a multiplatform?

Not for another several years and they changed a few things from the original version.

Well, I bow to your superior Dreamcast knowledge JB.

Which is considered the better version?

It depends on if you like the changes they made. There is no difference in content and fyi I once wrote a essay about how the dreamcast directly influenced the original XBOX, ofcourse I'd know alot :p

Well I'd love to hear how it influenced the original xbox :p

I can't rightfully credit the Sony PlayStation with creating the survivalist horror genre, but I can most certainly and especially credit the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series with greatly rejuvenating and further popularizing the genre.

Well, I'd say the horror genre appeared back in the 8-bit days. I owned a ZX Spectrum 48K which was a British microcomputer and there were plenty of horror games available for it, Friday the 13th comes to mind. There were also tons of horror themed adventure games during that era that were quite scary. Resident Evil and Silent Hill certainly popularized horror a bit more, but there was already a fan base and market beforehand.

With the wealth of success that JRPGS had in the PS1 era, the Survival horror Nuts went bold with titles. They definitely spurred the growth, if not directly helping it. They didn't create it but they had so many good titles to choose from.

I think it was the game developers that pushed the horror genre, not the console. Game developers want to push the limits and go beyond what is already out there. It also sells more to have something new and innovative.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back