Xbox Music comes to Windows 8 and Windows Phone

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Playing
GameCube
Microsoft is rebranding all of its music programs and services as Xbox Music, a new service which will span three Microsoft platforms: Xbox 360, Windows 8, and Windows Phone 8. This move is a telling sign of Microsoft's plans to expand the Xbox brand beyond gaming. As most people associate the Xbox name with video games, it will be interesting to see how accepting the public will be of the new marketing initiative.

Xbox Music will come with both streaming and pay-pay-song options, as well as a large library of music videos.

Source

Xbox_Music_Enter_Artist_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Xbox = games. What's the point of branding a music service as Xbox?? Adults who don't play games will be sooo confused about this.

I guess Microsoft was so embarrassed about Zune's failure to beat iPod that they decided to bury the Zune name and call it something else. The interface is still clearly Zune-inspired though (as is everything else that uses Metro today).

I made an avatar in my Windows 8 Xbox app, and that was the extent of my involvement with Xbox on Windows. :)

Didn't Microsoft *just* finish a huge rebranding effort by calling everything "Live" just a short time ago? Live Search, Live music, and so on and so forth? Then it was Bing search and Bing music and whatnot? They need to pick a name and stick with it.

Latest threads

Back