3. Injustice 2
4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
5. Yakuza 0
6. Slime Rancher
7. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
8. Fire Emblem Warriors
9. Forza Motorsport 7
10. Tekken 7

Overall, a very, very good year in gaming in my opinion. Probably the best of the generation so far.

im going to assume BOTW is like, number 0+++ or something? Just kidding, that's a good list!

Do you think you could make a top five or ten list?

@GunGunW Nope. Im absolutely not qualified, for i only have Nintendo platforms. I just got a Switch, so my BOTW was for the wii u. Also, im pretty slow when it comes to getting new games. I see some games up there id love to try though. How about i give you my top 5 that i played this year

BOTW
Odyssey
Kirby Planet Robobot
Yokai Watch 2
Metroid Prime

I'm very similar that I don't touch nearly the amount of games that come out. Just don't have the time to play them all. Or I'll play them far after release. So here's my top games that I played in 2017...

1. Horizon Zero Dawn
What can I say about this? Excellent story! Excellent gameplay! Amazing open world! I loved every minute of this game!
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Why is this not #1 you ask? Because I didn't get it until the end of November and am still only about maybe 1/4 of the way through it. But take what I said about Horizon Zero Dawn and mirror it here. I love this game!
3. Star Wars Battlefront 2
Please no hate. I pre-ordered this game because I am a HUGE Star Wars fan...pretty much as big as they come. I really enjoyed the story. It wasn't the best thing that I ever played,
but it was very entertaining and it felt like Star Wars. I had a genuinely good time. I'm not a huge multiplayer guy, but I enjoyed the multiplayer in the last Battlefront, and #2 just
expands that and makes it better. Again, I feel like I'm in the Star Wars universe when I'm playing multiplayer too. Overall it's a good game. It's just a shame EA has to put a damper
put a damper on the whole thing with their BS micro transaction loot box crap.
4. Stardew Valley
My second purchase on my Switch behind BoTW, and I have not regretted it. And I'm still playing it. Currently just started winter in my second season. Not sure how long it will last,
but 61.5 hours into it and I'm still just as hooked...maybe even more.
5. Destiny 2
Again, please no hate lol. This really should've been higher on my list, but it's lucky it made it at all. I played the crap out of Destiny 1...over 1000 hours to be vague :). With Destiny 2,
Bungie said all the right things. The reason this game made my top 5 is because for the first couple of weeks playing the game I was really enjoying myself. But then the grind started
to hit me more than the first iterations grind ever did. It was like they slowly improved this new experience with Destiny 1 over the three year period and then release Destiny 2 but
took a couple of steps back. Destiny 1 was a roller coaster, but I stuck with it because at it's core it was a very good game and it was a new thing, so I knew they needed time to figure
out how to make it the greatness it deserved. Well unfortunately, this is the last Destiny experience I will be purchasing. It's sad, but they have not proved to me that they can
consistently improve Destiny and that it will always be a roller coaster. It's too frustrating to always ride that ride. Sorry Bungie, but 2017 is where I say farewell.
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
WHAT!?! I don't care how old this game is, I didn't start it until 2017 and I love this game...so yes, it is in my top games of 2017. Almost finished. Just need to beat the last castle/dungeon. Just currently going around and getting the remaining Gold Skulltulas and heart pieces that I've missed. This game deserves a 100%. I really don't need to go into much more depth about it to this audience lol.
7. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Hey, I didn't get my 3DS and Wii U until the end of 2016. This game was really fun!
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
See comments from #7 haha. Didn't finish, only got about 15 hours in, but I really like the Zelda games and what I got through was really fun. Someday I'll go back and finish it.

There are other games that I played in 2017 that really couldn't go on this list. I put a lot of time into the first Destiny and the first Star Wars Battlefront in 2017. I've been playing those games since launch and they are a few years old. I purchased Super Mario Odyssey, but only put a very small amount of time into it. I'm holding off until Zelda is finished, so that may be a top 5 game of 2018 ;).

P.S. I also played a ton of Mario Kart 8 on both Wii U and Switch in 2017. Forgot it as I typed the list, but it is for sure a top 10 game for whatever year you first play it.

@dustinb12 It may sound boring, but you are a farmer who took over his grandpa's farm. But it's more than just farming. You live in the small town call Stardew Valley. You interact with the people in town. Build relationships. You can even get married and have kids. There is also fishing, mining and other activities. And it has that perfect daily loop that keeps you playing. At the end of the day it's like "just one more day so I can get [insert task] done." It's quite a charming game and for only $15. It's been out a few years starting on Steam and then to PS4 & XB1. I was interested but didn't want to get it until I had a Switch. It's the perfect game for the Switch because it's easy to play on the go.

@MilkBone it actually sounds great. I love Animal Crossing, and don't know if you've ever tried Fantasy Life (3ds) but thats what this reminds me of. I will look into it!

Hmm, I think my list would be...
1) Gunvolt Striker Pack
2) Mario Odyessy
3) Virtual-On Index demo (kinda cheating, but still)
4) Gundam Versus
5) Marvel VS Capcom Infinite.

I don't think there are enough games I thought were good to make a top 10, lol.

Hmm... I don't think I played to many games released in 2017. I'll try to think of some. This isn't my top games from 2017 list, this is the only games I can think of from 2017 at all that I played xD

Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Zen Pinball 3
Injustice 2

@Heigw That's the problem with the average gamer making a top list of a year. Most of us will play a couple of games that came out that year. I'll be playing BoTW well into 2018 along with Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Battlefront 2. Plus I have back logs that I want to play. I'm several Assassin Creeds behind. I will eventually get to Origins. Top games of a year are cool and all, but for us average guys it's hard to make those lists.

Yakuza 0
Xenoblade 2
Nier Automata
Raiden V
Matterfall
Nex Machina
Wonderboy The Dragons Trap
Ys VIII

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back