Zelda newbie - need recommendation

averus

From
Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina
Playing
NES
Hey there fellow Nintendians :D

I'm thinking of playing Zelda. I have played the first game for about 20minutes when I was a kid and that's all.
Now, times have changed - graphics, story and gameplay are all important for a game.

So tell me, if I wanted to get the whole story of Zelda, where do I begin?
Should I play from the first game and on, or should I start with a newer title in order to get into the franchise easier?

Zelda's are connected so to speak but REALLY you can start anywhere. One of the better starting points though is ocarina of time. It's the basis of all modern 3d zelda games.

All Zelda games have independent plot lines and are not connected, with a couple of exceptions, like Zelda I & II. Anouma has stated that each game could theoretically have a different Link and different Zelda, and in fact, the hero's name is never officially Link--the player gets to name him however he wants at the beginning of the game.

As far as gameplay goes, the original Legend of Zelda is still a deeply satisfying experience that makes you appreciate the genius of Miyamoto and his ability to create such an epic game in the mid-80s when no one could imagine this level of immersion in a simple cartridge-based "TV game."

The Ocarina of Time did the same thing in the 90s and wrote the rulebook on what a 3D adventure game should be. It's a masterpiece from beginning to end.

I love both games equally, but the first Zelda holds a special place, of course, because I was a kid when I played it. That said, I love almost all Zelda games. Link's Awakening (for Game Boy), Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword. They're all amazing games. I don't like Twilight Princess or any of the Capcom- developed games.

Hmm... So it would be best to pick up the first Zelda and start from there I guess...
A friend of mine said that Ocarina of Time is the best to start with. He absolutely loves that game.

Btw, thanks for the info both of ya :)

you are in the right place friend.

don't start with= Zelda II, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons.

the rest is up to your preference, some are dark, some are light, some are cell shaded

the one that hit me a home run was the Wind Waker. it's perfect

i very recently finished my second play of Link's Awakening DX, (e shop 3ds) and Ocarina of time 3d.

i also loved Twilight Princess.

i would start with newer and work your back, because Link's Awakening really tore my hands up from having to keep pressing start to change weapons. Good luck and i'd really like to know which one you choose.

Here's some additional education, courtesy of Spudfish93 from imgur.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6HQkZTJ.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pAY4Trw.jpg

L0M3zgF.jpg

4qC7jzn.jpg

P18wPLT.png

wbsnnXw.png

wSuIRgc.png

iQp6ll8.png

2dsBtXj.png

IzQLCtp.png

(sitting up straight and clapping) that was above and beyond the call. good job!

i was thinking, it might be a good idea to start with Skyward Sword. how many people will have the opportunity to play the FIRST one first?

It really depends on the system you have, and in order to play all the Zelda games in the right order, you have to have all the gaming console for it. I personally started my first Zelda game, A Link to the Past for Gameboy Color, which then I jumped to Nintendo DS, which were the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Zelda: Spirit Track. I played these two games twice and are my all-time favorite adventure games. I don't normally play a game more than once, but in have found Zelda is very exceptional and I have discovered more things in the game than the first time I played. You don't have to start the Zelda game in the right order and it depends on what console will you buy to play the game, and I don't think you should play every single one either.

I also am a Zelda newbie and I would love to start playing this franchise sometime. I own a 3DS! So should I just get Ocarina of Time for the 3DS as a good starting game?

yes indeed. Link's Awakening Dx e shop is a good choice for the price as well

Well, my first Zelda game was Ocarina of Time on 3DS, and now I'm playing Link Between Worlds. And so far I have also discovered that it doesn't matter in which order you play them. The stories may be very similar, but each game has it's own unique playstyle and even graphic style.

just started A Link Between Worlds and immediately loved the speed of the game. everything is quicker and smoother

you can't go wrong. OOT 3d is awesome, I'm playing Link between Worlds now and it's super fun too

game that I will personally recommend and one that I know that you will have a lot of fun playing is the Zelda The Ocarina Of Time. That was the first Zelda game that I have ever played and I must admit that it was the most fun I had ever had on the N64. From there you can continue to play the other games Such as the Majora's Mask and such. Believe you will have a lot of fun.

I think I'll agree with the rest of you and say that for the modern Zeldas, especially if you're going to be starting with the console variety, OoT is probably your best bet. If you want to try handhelds out first, I'd recommend Minish Cap I think. Nice little side story, but works as a great introduction to the mechanics of the games.

I personally think Link to the Past is the best to start with simply because its the best Zelda ever, in my humble opinion :D. You cannot really go wrong with Ocarina though and all the portable Zeldas are great.

Play. Them. ALL. :D Although, since I haven't played any of the hand held games I don't know about them...but any of the consloe games are GREAT! I am working on Skyward Sword at the present time. :)

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back