$70 for a Pro controller

Why would you even buy one? It's just two joycons permanently fused to the pad. The Joycon version looks weird but everyone says it's comfortable so I'll just stick with it.

And honestly? I'd rather just go for another pair of joycons plus a charging pad. That way I have two full controllers for two-person intense gaming, and four joycons for the few times I'd have more players.

Kinda nice. My Wii U has: five Wiimotes (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser), three nunchucks, two Pro controllers, one classic controller pro, a gamecube adapter and four gamecube controllers (plus a hard drive hanging off the back). Compared to that my Switch bundle with another pair of joycons+pad will be very compact.

I mean, the other guys controllers tend to be around $60-65 ($140 for Xbox elite, my god). Not sure it's still justified, but perspective.

I dont get the point. If you want a 'classic controller' just put the joycons in the grip and youre good to go. Its almost like the people who say that there is no point using it portably (is that even a word). If you feel like that, just leave it docked all the time.

Edit: just realised that buying one single joycon is around the same price as the pro controller (i think) so even with the hd rumble it would be a bit expensive

I dont get the point. If you want a 'classic controller' just put the joycons in the grip and youre good to go. Its almost like the people who say that there is no point using it portably (is that even a word). If you feel like that, just leave it docked all the time.

Edit: just realised that buying one single joycon is around the same price as the pro controller (i think) so even with the hd rumble it would be a bit expensive
I just think of the Joy-con set as better than an Xbox Elite controller.

I always buy the pro controllers for traditional games. Love the classic grip, it takes me back to the old days. Some reviewers have said the Switch Pro controller feels similar to the Wavebird.

Only considerations I can think of are the D-pad (4 separate buttons on joy con, I think I've read that some people don't like that) and the battery life of the pro vs joycon. We don't know what they are yet, but if the switch pro is like the wii u pro, you'll never need to charge it. That can be major for when I game at home.

Edit: Google fu tells me Joycon has 20 hour battery with 3 hr charge time. Switch pro has 40 hr battery and charges for 6.

Last edited:
Why would you even buy one?

Imagine that you have four Joycons to form two controllers for a 4 player fighting game, and want to save some money. In such a case, you might want two Pro controllers as well.

Why would you even buy one?

That Pro controller looks more comfortable to hold than the Joy-Cons on the grip, though I guess time will tell if that's true or not. Plus, I mean if you want to play comfortably with more than one person (one person can play with one joy-pad but that looks awkward as call can be) you're going to have to buy more than one controller. $110 for the joy-cons + grip is just insane for a single controller so if I buy more controllers they're going to be the pro models.

Though for what it's worth, the pro controller isn't much more than a standard Xbox One or PlayStation 4 controller.

@grahamf i agree. Its just more versatile and it means you dont have to buy 2 pro controllers instead of one set of joycons

I find the price to be really disappointing too. I think a lot of young kids and older adults (not hardcore gamers) wan something simple and economical.

Why would you even buy one? It's just two joycons permanently fused to the pad. The Joycon version looks weird but everyone says it's comfortable so I'll just stick with it.

And honestly? I'd rather just go for another pair of joycons plus a charging pad. That way I have two full controllers for two-person intense gaming, and four joycons for the few times I'd have more players.

Kinda nice. My Wii U has: five Wiimotes (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser), three nunchucks, two Pro controllers, one classic controller pro, a gamecube adapter and four gamecube controllers (plus a hard drive hanging off the back). Compared to that my Switch bundle with another pair of joycons+pad will be very compact.
the D pad is why better for fighting games

Hey, I am back from christmas break, and I do find that this pricing is extremely stupid for the pro controller. What I also find to be bullshit about the switch is how 32 gb could be expanded with sd cards, resulting in more money to be paid, what is this? PS1 era now?

The battery life is abysmal, zelda having 3 hours is not a good sign and would discourage me from wanting to take it on the go. Sure, there is the fast charging USB-C port, but where the hell can I charge it when I am driving on a family trip that could take 4 hours to get to?

Last edited:
I think the low battery is a good indication that Nintendo tried to make the Switch as powerful as possible. You can always use a car charger. I'd see if anyone makes a battery pack.

Didnt nintendo say something about being able to use wall chargers (as in phone chargers) to charge your switch? Or was i just hearing things?

Yes, it's USB-C so any modern phone charger except iPhone's will do the trick.

That USB-c is why I'm not so down on its battery life. Hopefully they make a standard car charger too, for those with older vehicles. Brother and I were on a family trip last christmas, both playing our 3DS', and a single car charger was a god send. As long as we coordinated properly.

I still would have liked better battery life of course.

USB type C is one of the most exciting things that has happened to consumer technology in recent years. You can already pick up a car charger for $10-15 and don't need to depend on Nintendo on it. It's a truly universal interface.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back