Did the GBA even bother with horror games?

I'm not sure I'd really agree with that. I mean, there's plenty of indie horror games which use pixels. Whether or not that they're really as good as their 3D counterparts mind is another matter.

I haven't played any that managed to capture the essence and scaryness in 3D.

Well I suppose that's up to each person to decide for themselves. It's not like 3D instantly makes a horror game better or anything, but then again as I said, it's all up to individual opinion and stuff.

I don't think, hardware-wise, the Game Boy Advance didn't have much scope for horror games, I feel. Also, Nintendo did employ a more stringent policy of scrutiny on the games their devices supported. I don't think that the horror games for the GBA are hard to find; I think a Nintendo-approved horror game (at that time) didn't exist.

Anyone find any games yet?

It really didn't bother because Horror really doesn't come through in pixels.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBHNtTNPzV0&list=PLBAFB085412C1B224&feature=player_detailpage

That's a tech demo for Resident Evil 2 on the Game Boy Advance.

I will admit, it creeped me out more than a little bit. Horror does come in pixels. my friend. Ever have a Minecraft zombie creep up on you? Or tried watching that video ^ with HD audio and headphones? O.O

I got scared, not gonna lie. I am sort of a wuss, so.....

Honestly your pretty much right, I do not remember a good horror title either. Nintendo is not really known for the horror genre, that is mostly Sony and Microsoft's scene. Maybe a few were released but none that were super popular.

It really didn't bother because Horror really doesn't come through in pixels.

I can't agree with either of those points. I think it depends on what we mean when we say 'scary' or 'horror'. If Resident Evil is what you're talking about, then it's tough to translate a game of that nature to certain platforms. Which kind of explains why they didn't. However, I think there are decent horror games that are limited graphically. You can instill surprise into any game & that's a big part of what I want from a 'horror' game.

There were probably some which may have had concepts of horror but nothing that would scare you or make you think what to do now or I wander what is around the corner in the room. Horror based games may or may not have worked at the time, since it was mostly targeted toward kids and younger generation so horror games would come out later on for adults to play with. I think at that time the target was children, than they may have discovered they need to appeal to the adult generation so made games for them too.

Two words.
Metroid. Fusion.
Might've been just a little weak as a Metroid game, but it sure as hell didn't fail to be scary.

They probably did have a few horror titles on it that i just don't know about, but it would definitely not be any good if they did. Theres just some types of games that just don't work on a certain platform. Like first person shooters and gba, i think we all remember the Medal of Honor game? Complete... disappointment... Better just stick to the pinballs and rpgs for the gba.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back