Do you think the NX would be including a VR device?

CeliVega

Playing
3DS
Recently there's this new "gimmick": Virtual Reality device.

Basically what happened is you put on a headset and play the game, like this:

As far as the "Big 3" goes, Microsoft and Sony are both developing their own VR devices(well I am not so sure about Microsoft, only the rumours), and the one developed by Sony with be released during October:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_VR

Which brings the question, we know very little about what Nintendo NX will be like. Would it be possible for them to implement VR into their games as well?

/shakes Magic 8 Ball

"Reply hazy"

I think Nintendo said possible but were not aggressively going after it. VR id not the place Nintendo should go. It's already a flooded market with more product than there is demand.

I just think it would be pretty cool ya know? Think of the iconic characters from Nintendo, Mario, Link, etc......
A Zelda game from a first person view would be super rad! Exploring Hyrule as if everything is really around you, I bet it will be spectacular to look at. Just don't let a Redead of Ocarina of Time be my first time experience though.

And speaking of Mario, someone did this a while ago:
This is like......the perfect game to keep you fit XD

So a intrusive gimmick that would get boring after 5 minutes once the novelty wore off and people would just play regular games again. Yeah sounds like VR all right.

Well they are testing the water with their new gimmick, hoping to score big time. Who knows, maybe there's a market for it, considering people love trying new stuffs.

I myself tried the VR headset once when they are on display not long ago. Honestly, there's a lot of room for improvement if they are serious about making the VR feature into a real thing. The headset didn't come with different size, it's not comfortable to wear, and I don't know if it's just me, my eyes hurts after a while. Maybe our eyes are not designed to see something from that close?

I would prefer if there's a choice to turn it on and off, you know, like a shooting game where you can switch between first person view and third person view.

Last edited:
VR stands for Virtual reality. Meaning simulating a experience that would seem real. That would be first person. Third person is just a 3D game and no longer VR. 3DS plays 3D games. VR has been around for over 30 years. It's not new. Like 3D glasses comes in waves of popularity every few years hyped as the next big thing then kinda fades out. 3D and VR make many people sick. Sweaty and nasty. Expensive and bulky. Nintendo would likely want to do VR if they could make it less bulky and very affordable plus do something different with it like 3DS did for 3D.

I think that Nintendo need to embrace VR to be honest, and while I know that it might not sit well with a lot of Nintendo fans for them to copy what others are doing, do think that if they don't at least look at t they are going to be trailing behind the other companies. VR might very well be a novelty that lasts 6 months at least and then gets forgotten about, but Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have spent what they have in developing their systems to watch it fall by the wayside after only a few months I wouldn't have though.

I just wouldn't want to see Nintendo come out and say we're ignoring VR, and then when Sony release there's at the end of the year and it gets rave reviews and ends up being the best thing that's ever happened in gaming. Nintendo would then always be trying to catch up.

VR is expensive. The Oculus Rift is $400 and requires at minimum a $800 pc. The ps4 vr is at least $700 including the ps4. Even the Samsung VR requires a $500 smartphone. Nintendo has never had a successful device that was pricy.

If the NX is going to be a phone, I beraly think these games will have good graphics, however, it could be possible if they try something better, if you're going to be able to connect the phone to your TV and play games then it could happen with a super phone, otherwise, I do not think so.

I think that Nintendo need to embrace VR to be honest, and while I know that it might not sit well with a lot of Nintendo fans for them to copy what others are doing, do think that if they don't at least look at t they are going to be trailing behind the other companies. VR might very well be a novelty that lasts 6 months at least and then gets forgotten about, but Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have spent what they have in developing their systems to watch it fall by the wayside after only a few months I wouldn't have though.

I just wouldn't want to see Nintendo come out and say we're ignoring VR, and then when Sony release there's at the end of the year and it gets rave reviews and ends up being the best thing that's ever happened in gaming. Nintendo would then always be trying to catch up.
This is the third attempt with VR Sony has done with a console. Previous 2 failed. Sony abandons side things fast. EyeToy,Vita,Wonderbook,Move,PSEye and even the PS2 HDD as just a few examples. Also Developers were polled on what VR device they plan to develop for. Sony VR was near bottom of the list. It was even behind Google Cardboard. Sony VR is another Kinect,Turbo CD,SEGA CDSEGA 32X and N64 DD situation in the making. You don't add expensive add ons to a console that already cost in the hundreds. It fails every time. Kinect out of the gate with the novelty did well but now Kinect is a joke and no longer sold with Xbox. Same for all of these devices. It's dead money.

I don't know if they but they have done it in the past. Nintendo was one of the first to introduce VR. Unfortunately the market wasn't ready for it back then, so it wasn't a success.

^ Well no. They had a 3D system. 3D is not VR. Virtual Boy despite the name was not VR at all. Again people seem to confused what VR is. Virtual Boy was a 3D Gameboy and nothing more. Atari and Master System had 3D headsets in the same fashion.

This is the third attempt with VR Sony has done with a console. Previous 2 failed. Sony abandons side things fast. EyeToy,Vita,Wonderbook,Move,PSEye and even the PS2 HDD as just a few examples. Also Developers were polled on what VR device they plan to develop for. Sony VR was near bottom of the list. It was even behind Google Cardboard. Sony VR is another Kinect,Turbo CD,SEGA CDSEGA 32X and N64 DD situation in the making. You don't add expensive add ons to a console that already cost in the hundreds. It fails every time. Kinect out of the gate with the novelty did well but now Kinect is a joke and no longer sold with Xbox. Same for all of these devices. It's dead money.

I get your point, but you mentioned Kinect in there, and while I admit that the popularity as certainly dropped off, in the beginning it did cause quite a stir. If lessons can be learned from that then would it not be worth trying again but this time with VR? Technology as moved on and I think that mistakes made with Kinect can be learned from so it would maybe be an interesting idea anyway.

I'd like to see it happen, but then again, it's not my money I'll be playing around with so I would say that!

Well that would be awesome, and it would make me that much more excited for it to come out. I cannot say that I have really heard of anything like this though, so I try to not get myself too hyped up or anything, but sometimes it just happens anyways, which will probably be the case here. It really makes me think of the potential though, which is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.

I'd be surprised if it included VR. It would be prohibitively expensive, which isn't Nintendo's thing unless they are stupid confident in it.

^ Well no. They had a 3D system. 3D is not VR. Virtual Boy despite the name was not VR at all. Again people seem to confused what VR is. Virtual Boy was a 3D Gameboy and nothing more. Atari and Master System had 3D headsets in the same fashion.
Sorry your right, 3D isn't the same thing. In VR you actually interact with what you see will in 3D you see the things in three dimensions.

Well that would be awesome, and it would make me that much more excited for it to come out. I cannot say that I have really heard of anything like this though, so I try to not get myself too hyped up or anything, but sometimes it just happens anyways, which will probably be the case here. It really makes me think of the potential though, which is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing.

I think that's going to be a key word when we're talking about the Nintendo NX, potential. It's almost 100% that the NX won't be released with VR technology, but that doesn't mean to say that it can't have the potential to adopt that kind of technology in the future and that's going to play a big role in what the device plays in the market I think.

If Microsoft and Sony release their new consoles and VR is a huge success, Nintendo don't want to be stuck with a brand new console that's then already out of date and chasing the other two again. I'd be interested to hear if Nintendo are looking at a VR system, but the fact I haven't heard anything yet is slightly worrying I think.

I might pick up a generic vr headset eventually. They're pretty decent.

But I just got this system, and on the top of my list is to get a proper wired gaming keyboard and mouse and a decent monitor.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back