FFVIII for the Computer

Roseary

Playing
Nintendo 64
Steam released FFVIII for the computer now and claims to have smoothed out the graphics, and added the Chocobo World that was originally available seperately for previous versions of the game.

I went out on a limb and bought this version, it was on sale at the time, and my old playstation no longer works so it would be worth the buy. So far I've really enjoyed it on the computer over the playstation. The controlls can be a little jagged, and it took me a bit to get used to the keyboard commands.

A lot of people have complained about the sound on the computer version, but it hasn't made any prominent errors for me. I wonder if it depends on your computer? It has been about the same for me as the ps1 version.

All in all the computer version of FFVIII has been a pleasant surprise, it is nice to be able to multi task at my computer while playing an old favorite game.

Anyone else play this version yet?

No, but I did play the FF7 version a few times. The graphics seemed to run a little smoother; but; you're right, the controls are a little odd. I don't remember if the sound was any better, but you may very well be right about it depending on the computer.

I tried the FF7 version out on my friends computer, but he has a PC gaming controller so it was a lot like playing on the Playstation only with clearer graphics. I actually noticed that people said on steam the sound was originally broke for the FF7 version as well and it took a while for it to get fixed. My friend didn't get it until some time after it was fixed though so I wouldn't know about that.

I am a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I still haven't bought FF8 on steam.
The reason: I bought FF7 for 3$, so I'm waiting for FF8's price to drop too.

I think it's totally crappy of Square Enix to re-release the same games and provide almost nothing new.

All FF fans wanted a remake of FF7 ever since the movie FF7: Advent Children came out. We want to play the whole story, but with modern graphics, improved gameplay, fixed bugs and translations etc. They will, obviously, never do that and it's crappy. Ever since Squaresoft stopped, and Square Enix began the games have been worse and worse in my opinion :(

Square will do a proper remake of FFVII eventually, but it's basically their biggest trump card, so they'll hold on to it for as long as they can.

Awesome! Maybe, I'll have to check this out. I've played the original, but do not have it anymore. It definitely wasn't my favorite Final Fantasy game, but I definitely enjoyed it! In regards to the complaints you mentioned, I would just assume that those people's computers aren't very powerful, but hopefully it works fine for me.

FF8 doesn't really need a powerful computer.
Any Windows 7 capable machine will run it just fine :)

I'm still very sad that they never made a remake of FF7 and FF8. Those games had one of the best stories and some of the best characters of Gaming history!

A: these are really not any work on Square Enix's part because they are just rereleases of the old pc releases back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. B: It depends on if people listened to the original music on PS1 super recently otherwise they REALLY wouldn't notice a difference..

Square will do a proper remake of FFVII eventually, but it's basically their biggest trump card, so they'll hold on to it for as long as they can.
I don't think they will to be honest. Sure, people will explode if they did announce it, but think of the issues.

You couldn't do too much, and you couldn't do too little. If you change it too much, people will say it's terrible and just not the same. If you change too little, people will complain that you didn't fix up this bit, or that bit, or provide a better connecting story between this and Dirge of Cerberus or something.

I don't think they will to be honest. Sure, people will explode if they did announce it, but think of the issues.

You couldn't do too much, and you couldn't do too little. If you change it too much, people will say it's terrible and just not the same. If you change too little, people will complain that you didn't fix up this bit, or that bit, or provide a better connecting story between this and Dirge of Cerberus or something.

People will always find a reason to complain.. or they'll do what Eidos did with the Tomb Raider 1 Remake and change things and then it wasn't really a remake but a reimagining and it was even weirder when the sequel built off the tomb raider 1 story with atlantis..

People will always find a reason to complain.. or they'll do what Eidos did with the Tomb Raider 1 Remake and change things and then it wasn't really a remake but a reimagining and it was even weirder when the sequel built off the tomb raider 1 story with atlantis..
And then they'll go and reboot it again and make it grimdark and edgy, with nothing whimsical like having Atlantis in it.

And then they'll go and reboot it again and make it grimdark and edgy, with nothing whimsical like having Atlantis in it.

It's sad the..husk that tomb raider is becoming of it's former self. The lara I knew was SASSY and didn't take shit from anyone and had seen so many things other humans had never seen. She was a true explorer. These last few Lara's have been little college girls that liked to look inside tombs.

FF8 doesn't really need a powerful computer.
Any Windows 7 capable machine will run it just fine :)

I'm still very sad that they never made a remake of FF7 and FF8. Those games had one of the best stories and some of the best characters of Gaming history!

See. I really didn't like any of the characters from 8. All in all, it was one of the weaker FF games I played; no doubt it was still a good game though. The sorceress was the coolest character in the game IMO.

It's sad the..husk that tomb raider is becoming of it's former self. The lara I knew was SASSY and didn't take shit from anyone and had seen so many things other humans had never seen. She was a true explorer. These last few Lara's have been little college girls that liked to look inside tombs.
Little college girls that like to look inside tombs is probably the best way you can describe them frankly. They're more like 'Oh I guess I'll pick up a gun now for the very first time, I hope I don't hurt anyone', whereas the original Lara was 'I'm a trained marksman and I'll take you down as fast as look at you'

Little college girls that like to look inside tombs is probably the best way you can describe them frankly. They're more like 'Oh I guess I'll pick up a gun now for the very first time, I hope I don't hurt anyone', whereas the original Lara was 'I'm a trained marksman and I'll take you down as fast as look at you'

Oldschool lara could have been a merc for the amount of crap and people she went through..

@Thomas Ennis I guess it depends on the taste :)

I liked FF7 and FF8 the most. Many people prefer the old games (NES and SNES), while I loved all of 'em until X-2. Everything went downhill when Squaresoft became Square Enix :(

PS1 dinosaur was scary as heck the first time you see it.
Especially since it's so unexpected. Tigers? Sure. Polar bear? Meh, not a big deal.

SUDDENLY T-REX OUT OF NOWHERE!

A friend of my owned the PC versions of both FFVII & VIII back in the late 90's. He wasn't a console gamer but he really wanted to play the Final Fantasy games once he saw them running on my PlayStation. The only difference between the PC & PS versions was that the PC version sported smoother textures. Otherwise they were near identical.

Latest threads

Back