Found a Nintendo 3DS on an Airplane

Finder

Hello everyone - as the title implies, I found a 3DS on a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. The unit powers on and the owner appears to be a kid living in Georgia. The only somewhat useful identifier I have is his friend ID and his friends' IDs. Can anyone suggest how I can return this to its owner? Thank you.

Last edited:
Message his friends and tell them you'll meet the owner in this thread to arrange a return. :bag:

Thank you for the quick reply. It seems like the device has a PIN code (presumably assigned by his parent(s)), so I don't believe I can get it online. Is there a way to send messages to select friend codes on the Internet somewhere? Maybe I can post some of them on here and someone can send on my behalf?

If you know their IDs, you can send them messages from your own device.

Sorry, can you clarify? Do you mean from the 3DS I found? I don't have any other Nintendo products, not to mention a Nintendo friend ID, and the 3DS I found won't go online because it's locked by a PIN; can't get into Internet settings.

I don't understand the problem. Can't you message the owner or his friends on Miiverse or something? Or have one of us message them.

I do not own any Nintendo products; therefore, I do not have a way of contacting the owner or his friends. If one of you would be ever so kind, here is the information:

Owner ID (Papi): 4055-4471-4346
Friend 1 (Braden): 0018-0251-8192
Friend 2 (Weable): 0817-4470-5025
Friend 3 (Pipi): 4468-1164-7653

Please let them know that I have the device and I'd like to ship it to the owner. I can provide my cell phone number, if needed, for the parents to get a hold of me. Thank you for the help!

No, I think the admin wants you to use the 3DS you found to message his friends on Miiverse :)
I don't think we can find the profile of his friends on Miiverse by just searching their names and their friend codes. Is it though?

Ahhhh these are 12-digit "friend codes" that are for 3DS only, that's different from the Nintendo IDs used on Wii U. I don't have a 3DS. Can anyone who has one add these people and message them? @Y0shiM0n @dustinb12 @Shane

P.S. Here you go Nintendo, this is what you get for having completely separate social networks or whatever the heck they are for your systems.

This would really be embarrassing if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can send messages to anyone with the 3DS. I can't even send messages to my friends. :(
So messaging through Miiverse might be our only chance.

Thank you guys for all the input. Yeah, the problem is I don't think I can message anyone through the device - and even if I could, the device is locked with a PIN code so I can't connect to my WiFi to get it online. If anyone could somehow get his friends this message, I'd be very grateful, and I'm sure so would he!

Hello everyone,

I posted a similar thread under the Nintendo 3DS forum, but haven't had much luck/help, so I was hoping someone will see this and step up. Here's the backstory: I found a 3DS on a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. The unit powers on and the owner appears to be a kid living in Georgia. The only somewhat useful identifier I have is his friend ID and his friends' IDs. I was thinking someone could message his friends and see if they can get a hold of the owner. I don't have any other Nintendo products, not to mention a Nintendo friend ID, and the 3DS I found won't go online because it's locked by a PIN; can't get into Internet settings.

Owner ID (Papi): 4055-4471-4346
Friend 1 (Braden): 0018-0251-8192
Friend 2 (Weable): 0817-4470-5025
Friend 3 (Pipi): 4468-1164-7653

Please let them know that I have the device and I'd like to ship it to the owner. I can provide my cell phone number, if needed, for the parents to get a hold of me. Thank you for the help, in advance!

Careful about posting the same content over multiple threads. I'm not a moderator, but it's frowned on at most forums.

Your best bet is to ask @spence88 to contact the people because he seems to know the most about the workings of the Nintendo network. All of this just confuses me - that is, all the friends codes and NNIDs and all that.

I'm sorry but I'm also stumped on how to solve this, considering that the 3DS is locked by a pin. That is very problematic indeed because the only way of contacting them is through the 3DS' Miiverse. No pin = no Internet = no Miiverse. On the other hand, contacting them through Miiverse on other devices is only possible if we know their NNID. And more often than not, the Mii names appearing on the friends list are different to their respective NNIDs. I, for one, have a different NNID and 3DS Mii nickname.

Have you tried contacting Nintendo? They should know who's Nintendo ID is linked to the 3DS's S/N and would be able to contact the person. I don't know if they would share the information with you or handle the return themselves or what.

Ok gang, i just tried a few things myself: @crunchyg i have you as a friend on miiverse, there is absolutely no way i can send you a message. I added all the friend ID's in my 3ds, and nothing. So i have an account with Nintendo.com's support forums and i started a thread about the situation there. Just waiting on the thread to be approved and such. I'll be in touch.

Edit: im also talking with someone on twitter who may be of help. We got this

Last edited:
I think you can send messages to your friends through Miiverse! I've sent one before! Although that is irrelevant to this case, because we can't get them to add any of us.
Anyway, nice work dustinb12! I applaud the effort. Any updates on this?

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm wrong. You can't send messages through the 3DS' Miiverse. -.-

Last edited:
@spence88 thanks broski! that means a lot to me! Bad thing is, I'm on my work shift which is 7 days on, 7 days off so i can't do much during the day. The update is this: yesterday my twitter friend tried basically what we did with using the friend id and got nothing. I've yet to hear from Nintendo's website as its under maintenance. i'll bet the only thing they can do is use the serial number, if the person registered the 3ds on Nintendo.com.

Still trying!

Latest threads

Back