How to Make a Good Game

Something that makes some boss fights fun is figuring out their weakness and any patterns with the actions they perform.
Like a giant in armour can take a might swing with its axe that'll take you out in one hit.
It's a slow attack and after taking a swing, the axe will get stuck in whatever it hits for a couple seconds giving you a chance to hit it in an un-protected area.....

I used to love the boss fights that seemed impossible but once you figured out a strategy it was a whole other ballgame :)

@pwarbi exactly. It's cool if they want to make the kind of game they want to play, but if they want to make a game that others want to play - you got to get other peoples feedback and input.

As part of my system developments I have 3 people I run things by.
2 are fellow techs but one is terrible at IT and is near retiring.
I know if the worst person can handle my system, it's sound (of course this is very different from game development but kind of relevant :p )

And that's the difference between making a perfect (in their eyes) game, and making one that's popular. I'm not saying release a game that's full of glitches, I'm saying make a game that maybe isn't perfect, but something that people enjoy playing.

People can overlook certain issues, as long as they're having fun and enjoying themselves.

Hey StockRolls, if you're not busy, and since you like card games, could you look over my threads on the game I'm making, Project Darkma? The threads are here in Fan Art and Fiction and all titled as such.

And once you get done with that, Jack might want some advice too ;).

If you're too busy, I understand.

Hey - Been a bit busy, yes! If I could advise on a card game for a living, I'd have done it already...I'm like a walking tome of secrets over here ;) I'll go ahead and check them out and let you guys know what I think, but I aim pretty high with my expectations, so it might be a bit much if you're just trying to get something simple done :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it WAS a card game, but I changed it to a party game. LOL.

Is it still going to be using the mechanics of cards there at all? If the system is still generally the same, what I know is still very very relevant. I don't like to talk about it too much because it's thousands of hours of my life of understanding, but I'd love to give you a little bit of a rundown just as soon as I have a little more spare time :)

So how do I stop my game from being repetitive and boring? I know for a fact that a lot of beat em up/hack and slash games can get boring, but Bayonetta and God of War seem to accomplish to being fun. So what is their secret?

The fights are always intense and required you to pay attention and be quick. They don't let up.
The upgrades help you feel more and more powerful so you want to see them in action.
The visuals and the cool moves make you feel like you're in all the greatest action films.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back