If Nintendo released a mobile phone

I think we can all see the attraction, well, the gamers of the world can anyway, but Nintendo can't just make a device just for those. Maybe a limited edition release that would be a collector's item maybe, but not a device that they're expecting to make money from in the long term unfortunately.

And these days that's what companies have to be more concerned about, making money no matter what people would like to see.

Well if Nintendo were to release a mobile phone, I would expect a lot from them. I am not sure why it is, but for some reason I would expect Nintendo to bring something unique to the scene. I would also expect a good, unique name for it, although I cannot really make any suggestions or anything like that. In terms of features I am thinking something along the lines of different controllers that you can use for a variety of purposes. I am curious to hear some other ideas though, so thanks for sharing.

Nintendo definitely have their own unique way of doing things, so if they was ever to bring out a phone then I think we can expect something a little off the wall. I'm sure that the device will sell quite well due to the Nintendo branding, but at the same time I highly doubt that Samsung and Apple will have much to fear.

They could have the same style as the iphone but with the nintendo buttons, that way it would still work with their cases. Or they could just release some type of emulator app.

Nintendo will be focusing on their NX console so even if they ever did think about dipping into the smartphone market I very much doubt it will be anytime soon. Even if they ever did at the moment the smartphone market is dominated by Apple and Samsung so breaking into that sector is always going to be a tough act and at best they would only ever be a third choice manufacturer, and while a lot of gamers might like a Nintendo phone, I doubt that many others would be interested in buying one.

Funny....I kinda asked a similar thing like this in a forum site before I got banned there. Pretty much they said the same thing that a Nintendo Phone would be impossible and out of the question. and after what grahamf said along with some thought, yeah it won't work that much.

Although if Nintendo does region lock their mobile games, having a device that plays those games only might help the ones who can't get it because of region lock.

The beauty of making a smartphone would be that they wouldn't have to develop it by themselves. If they could enter into a partnership with one of the smartphone making companies they could really make a mark in the mobile gaming market. Pity Nintendo never really did partnerships with other companies or none that I know of.

They did. That's where the Zelda CD-i games come from.
linkfacesofevil610.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and say it would be a bad thing to repeat that fiasco.

The beauty of making a smartphone would be that they wouldn't have to develop it by themselves. If they could enter into a partnership with one of the smartphone making companies they could really make a mark in the mobile gaming market. Pity Nintendo never really did partnerships with other companies or none that I know of.

That should never happen, I believe they have the potential to develop their own device without the help of any partner whatsoever. They're probably being too lazy about it, who knows.

@Casiox business partnership can be beneficial for both parts, just look what happened with the PlayStation 3. The CPU was developed by Toshiba who was the first to develop multiple cores. PlayStation ended up dominating the market and Toshiba had a head start in relation to their competitors. Partnerships are a good thing.

They did. That's where the Zelda CD-i games come from.
linkfacesofevil610.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and say it would be a bad thing to repeat that fiasco.
Oh come on Hotel Mario was a masterpiece of gaming!
bW3U8C7.jpg

If they launched this, I'm sure there would be people that would be interested.

nintendo-plus-pokemon.jpg

It looks like a really good concept.

@SirJoe I did not really know about the Toshiba + Sony partnership, however, seems like they really did a good job when talking about the console's development and the GPU itself. I do not really know if they're still holding that partnership, but if they are, then they're doing a great job as a team, indeed.

@Segata Hmmm, It really was a fun game to play, but it really was not the type of game that you can play for a long amount of time without stopping for a single minute. I personally did not like it that much because it was not the type of games I tend to play, however, I respect everybody's opinion overall.

@Casiox business partnership can be beneficial for both parts, just look what happened with the PlayStation 3. The CPU was developed by Toshiba who was the first to develop multiple cores. PlayStation ended up dominating the market and Toshiba had a head start in relation to their competitors. Partnerships are a good thing.
If I recall the 8-core processor was exceedingly difficult to develop for and only towards the end of the PS3's lifespan were they able to figure out how to fully take advantage of it's power. And now the whole reason why Sony has the PSNow service is because the processor is too difficult to emulate for direct backwards compatibility.

But in the end it brought PS3 games to my Bluray player and PC, so oh well.

Yup the PS3 cell was stupid hard to develop for. It was similar the the Saturn in that regard. Cell was ahead of it's time but also complicated. Sony almost did not have a GPU but 2 cells and that would have killed the system. No one ever really pushed the cell. Also it was was the first console with Multiple cores. Again Saturn. Also PC's had at least dual cores by then.

Well ,sometimes they try so hard that they do not even know if they're doing a good job, that sort of thing happen when you try to become the best at something, there's always something that's going to fail.

If I recall the 8-core processor was exceedingly difficult to develop for and only towards the end of the PS3's lifespan were they able to figure out how to fully take advantage of it's power. And now the whole reason why Sony has the PSNow service is because the processor is too difficult to emulate for direct backwards compatibility.

But in the end it brought PS3 games to my Bluray player and PC, so oh well.
Yes it was. It was the first of it's kind. When it came onto the scene nobody knew what to do with it. There were a lot of developers that simply ignored the extra cores and developed their games like they usually did. As you said it really took a long time for them to actually risk working with multiple cores. I personally think it was over kill. If you look at the PC world they had a much more gradual approach to multicoring were the software and the hardware developed side by side.

@SirJoe I did not really know about the Toshiba + Sony partnership, however, seems like they really did a good job when talking about the console's development and the GPU itself. I do not really know if they're still holding that partnership, but if they are, then they're doing a great job as a team, indeed.
I'm not sure, I think it was just for the PS3, but you are right, if they hadn't had that partnership we would probably still be looking at the MHz race.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back