Nintendo 2DS

I fully support the idea of removing 3D from the 3DS, since most people don't care about it, but this 2DS is an extremely poorly designed handheld. I don't understand wtf Nintendo was thinking with this design. The whole 2DS announcement and video are so bizarre, the first thing that came to my mind was fake April fools Nintendo news that gaming sites usually post.

Me too, but the idea does make sense, and the design is so little kids don't break the hinges.

It actually makes a lot of sense in terms of design if you're marketing this toward small children and their parents. It's solid, can take quite a few hits, and lacks those oh so fragile hinges. You'd be surprised how much money you can milk out of the small children market.

At first, I wasn't impressed with the design. However, the design wasn't meant for my demographic. It was meant for a far younger demographic. And for that demographic, it's a great design. The hinge is gone, which means that the top screen won't flop around on the kids when they eventually break the hinge. And the buttons were moved to the center, making it easier for the kids to hold, as it's more balanced in their hands, as opposed of trying to hold of the bottom part. So, seeing that this was made for kids, it's a great design. At first, I wasn't impressed, as most people weren't. But most people who complained about it were adults. And adults who already had the regulard 3DS or XL version. They would have no need for the 2DS. Also, removing the 3D for the kids was great, as there are parents out there with concerns about the 3D feature on their children's eyes. So removing that for the kids was good.

Personally, I love the 3D. I constantly play with my 3D on full max setting for every game. It's just a shame that there are lots of games that really don't use the 3D effect. Some games make great use of the 3D, and it really looks nice. However, there are a lot of games that make it feel tacked on, like it was an after thought or something. Speaking of the 3D effect, I prefer it when it pulls the image backwards, away from you, to show depth. The 3D works great then. It's when it pops out towards you that it can be overbearing at times. Depending on the actual game. Some games do it right, with the pop out effect. But other games go too far with it, and it doesn't look right, and/or could strain your eyes. Doing the pull back for depth works much, much better than the pop out way. In my opinion, at least.

In the end I have no plans on getting a 2DS, however, I'm now for it. A lot of my friend's kids love it, and really, really want a 2DS. Which is great, as it's designed for them to begin with. I think that the backlash that the 2D got when it was announced was mostly uncalled for. Most places the review complained that they would never buy it. But of course they wouldn't, it's not for them. It's like they forgot that there is something for everybody out there, and that not everything is for them. So I was more upset with the complaining about the 2DS than I was about the design of it.

Lawnachaun said:
Personally, I love the 3D. I constantly play with my 3D on full max setting for every game.
That is an awesome way to go blind, fast.

You can't go blind that way. 3D doesn't cause you to go blind. It might give people eye strain, or cause them to be dizzy, or nauseous, or give them a headache, or things like that. But not blindness. That's more of an "old wives tale", like sitting too close to the tv, and things like that. That's all. Of course, it's probably not great for little kids to have a constant stream of 3D blaring at them. But, that's exactly why Nintendo made this 2D, for the kids, to keep the 3D from straining their eyes, or causing them to get sick off of it. Besides, most games on the 3DS don't use the 3D effect to it's full potential. A lot just have it tacked on, as an after thought, and there's hardly a 3D effect to be had, even if the settings are on max. Then again, other games look great in 3D. Just depends on how much effort they put into making it 3D or not. But either way, no, you can't go blind off of it.

If the price tag was right, I would definately be something I would get for my kid to play. I really hope they import some of the classic game boy games so my son can have the same experience I had as a kid :D .

Donkey Punch said:
That is an awesome way to go blind, fast.
It won't actually make you blind - it'll just make you wish you were blind. I mean - I'm actually kind of nauseus just thinking about it. I'd really hate to imagine what it'd be like to deal with this directly.

Saw a tv commercial for the 2DS. Had to find it online afterwards. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GUslUO1YyiE

I don't care about the design. Since I'm a collector. This is another device I need to get. I wish I got the GameBoy micro when it came out. Plus I'm still trying to get the NES Top Loader and the Wii mini. I do know that not many of you are collectors. But this does look like a good way to play games without having to open or close the system when you want to play games or shutting it off.

well, if you really are interested in picking up the 2DS, note that there's been lots of talk, in the past 24hours, of a new 2DS. The Luigi 2DS.

fGpkSQJ.jpg

L6ossIW.jpg

So, this is an option for you, instead of the standard 2DS. The choice is yours. Either way, enjoy.

Here's a beatiful video review for the 2DS enjoy!

http://youtu.be/k7UqUR04xZI

Do you realize 99% of our visitors will not understand a single word of that?

I think it's a great idea. I more than likely won't get one myself since I already have a 3DS (and I'd like to one day upgrade to an XL) but it makes perfect sense.

A cheaper model, more durable (no hinges), no 3D features which are often unused (children are advised not to use it anyway), and it still does everything else the 3DS does anyway? Fantastic business move, and it'll certainly get more people playing 3DS games. It was also a brilliant idea to release it on the same day as Pokemon X and Y - how many people would buy it for those games alone?

I love the idea of 2DS :)
The 3D in 3DS does give me a huge headache, and most of the time i have the 3D off. It's just really distracting. :)

jardantuan said:
I think it's a great idea. I more than likely won't get one myself since I already have a 3DS (and I'd like to one day upgrade to an XL) but it makes perfect sense.

A cheaper model, more durable (no hinges), no 3D features which are often unused (children are advised not to use it anyway), and it still does everything else the 3DS does anyway? Fantastic business move, and it'll certainly get more people playing 3DS games. It was also a brilliant idea to release it on the same day as Pokemon X and Y - how many people would buy it for those games alone?
Congratulations! You actually get Nintendo's idea - please explain it to your friends. I honestly don't get why it's so hard for people to understand why the 2DS currently exists.

I have a 2DS & love it. I don't like the 3D feature & wanted to be able to play 3DS games.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back