Nintendo NX Launch Games

Professor E. Gadd

Playing
Wii U
Besides Zelda NX, which games should Nintendo NX be launching with? Mario and Zelda are always strong franchises to release a new system with, but Nintendo has so many fantastic properties and they could do a lot of creative things here.

A Yoshi platformer would be nice, but seeing how Woolly World was just released recently, there probably isn't another one in the works just yet, especially for NX. Same deal with Kirby. The Rainbow Curse was such a high-quality title that Nintendo is unlikely to make another high-profile Kirby game any time soon.

So let's think about past Nintendo launch titles or games that launched shortly after a console's launch. Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Pikmin are some of my most favorite games ever. So I would love to play them on the day that I buy my Nintendo NX (which will be day one for sure). What else is there?

I'm ready for them to blow us away with a Metroid or Star Fox HD blockbuster. Something different. Even F-Zero. I had high hopes after they teased us in Nintendoland. Super Metroid's sounds and areas/graphics/mood creeps me out. Imagine that in HD and surround sound.

I don't know what they will do, but all I want or hope for is a strong line up to make the console worth buying, keeping and playing constantly.

I hope for either a Metroid or pokemon game with the obvious Zelda game and then a steady release afterwards with Mario.

I 100% agree with @dustinb12 in regards to the Star Fox NX. I think that would be a wonderful edition to their collection considering that there hasn't been a game out since Nintendo 64. (And if there has been, I was never informed and/or it was obviously overshadowed by other well-known games such as SSB.) Personally, I would kind of like to see Nintendo 64 games completely revamped for the Nintendo NX. This includes the following: Yoshi's Story, Star Fox, Doom, Mario Kart and more. Gah! I am so excited for E3 and hearing more news about it -- if they would share more news.

I know it's highly unlikely but a Pokemon game launch title would absolutely drive early sales probably more than anything else. Metroid seems reasonable for me since that is a franchise where Nintendo has shown in the past it is willing to try something new and revamp a proven title. As much as I love Pikmin, I don't see it as one of those must have games that is going to make people rush out to buy the NX. On the other hand, Zelda would be another story and it seems a stronger possibility with news of the WiiU game getting pushed back. Nintendo has a great line-up of characters and stories so hopefully the right team comes along to put together something on the new console that will blow us all away and introduce a whole new generation to the franchise in a similar way that the Metroid games for gamecube did.

Nintendo does have a formula when it comes to introducing a new console. They never come out with cutting edge technology. They find a cute little niche that makes them different, and a heavy use of mascots, familiar characters, and updated time tested games.

I think they have been following this recipe since the GameCube, and they have been slowly losing ground since. Wouldn't it be smart to break away from that marketing plan and do something different for a change. If you want to change the trend you have to go against the grain. It just makes sense to me.

So let's see now. What can they do to become competitive? The typical Nintendo way isn't working.

I think they should make a brand new IP and a well known franchise game at launch as well as some good 3rd party titles and at least one 3rd party exclusive. Possible even remastered versions of Wii U games. Like how PS3 has the last of us and then they remastered it for the ps4. Maybe just a version of Mario Kart with all the DLC included or Splatoon with extra gear, weapons, and maps. I think those would be some solid titles to launch with the NX.

They need a great big Mario sunshine style of 3d platformer and get away from the simple "3d land" style.
Hopefully playtonic's banjo-kazooie's spiritual successor "yooka-laylee" bring big hype back to this forgotten genre that made the n64 so awesome!

They need a great big Mario sunshine style of 3d platformer and get away from the simple "3d land" style.

I can't stress how much I agree with this! To me it feels lazy. Yeah, they're cool casual games and I've had kids in the family get into it, but they need to throw us hardcore fans from the 90s a bone here, I miss the good, strong old Mario games that didn't have elevator music in them.

Nintendo does have a formula when it comes to introducing a new console. They never come out with cutting edge technology. They find a cute little niche that makes them different, and a heavy use of mascots, familiar characters, and updated time tested games.

I think they have been following this recipe since the GameCube, and they have been slowly losing ground since. Wouldn't it be smart to break away from that marketing plan and do something different for a change. If you want to change the trend you have to go against the grain. It just makes sense to me.

So let's see now. What can they do to become competitive? The typical Nintendo way isn't working.

I strongly disagree.
They rely on their IP because it's not only good business but it's the edge they have, it what gamers want. I wouldn't have bought the Wii U or ended up with a Wii if it weren't for Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc... and I wouldn't want a 3DS for me and one for my wife if it weren't for Pokemon. Why would I possibly want a technologically inferior console with tiny storage if it's not for their exclusives? And exclusives they have a ton of; I agree, not all of them are Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario, etc... but I think you're overlooking how every time one of those games come out they innovate gameplay with something unique.
Examples: Super Mario 64 came out and I'd never experienced 3D gaming, like many others. It was a complete new concept and very well done (I still think it holds up well compared to many N64 games released years later). Then GameCube came out and Mario Sunshine soon followed. The whole integration of the FLUDD system made it a completely different experience from Super Mario 64. Let's not even go that far: Ocarina of Time is a straight-forward adventure game with RPG elements to me, though I've heard people simply call it an RPG. Regardless, name a similar title, similar as far as experience. I can think of many open-world epic games, like Dragon Age or the Elder Scrolls, and those two are very different in mechanics, but they're even more different from Ocarina of Time than to one another. Then compare Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask. Same console, same engine, same models and skins for a lot of stuff, but the entire mask theme and mechanic makes it very distinct. There's also the time aspect, and even other smaller stuff not directly linked to gameplay, like the noticeably darker overall tone of the story.
Now let's compare the N64 Zeldas with Wind Waker. I hadn't ever played a game based on open-world exploration with your own boat. It's very distinct and very unique, and yes, it does also manage to make it feel like a Legend of Zelda game, so to me that's remarkable and brilliant game-making.

Also to your point, they've been reusing many franchises ever since the NES had a follow-up in the SNES, way before the GameCube, with continuing most of the franchises already discussed, but also others they had the rights to at the time, like the Teenage Ninja Turtles for example.
The reason for using a big franchise at release is simple hype. Who wants to buy the PS4 with a handful of obscure games? You want to buy it with the new Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or better yet, exclusives like the new Uncharted, or the Xbox One with Halo. In fact, I think Wii U sales took so long to pick up because they didn't release their major franchises until several months ago, over a year into the console's lifespan.

Last, but not least, I agree that I'd like to see Nintendo become more competitive, as I personally feel as though the last generation and currently they're more comparable to having either the PS or Xbox and also gaming on PC, rather than competing with Microsoft and Sony.
The NX coming out with significant hardware updates (and they'd have a 2-year advantage in getting better hardware than the others to truly try to come after them) would be awesome and completely in line with this. I'm so hoping for it!

Hey guys I just wanted to talk about some titles that I would love to see launch with the NX.

1. Diddy Kong Racing 2 - So there is a rumor flying around that this is going to happen and I would love it. Especially since we probably aren't getting another Mario Kart any time soon. Diddy Kong Racing would be a great Racing game to launch with the system.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Super Mario 3D World 2 - Mario games are generally launched with new Nintendo Systems and they are always nothing short of greatness.

3. The New Zelda - This is a no brainer. This would sell consoles like hotcakes.

4. Pokémon Console Version - I want a Cannon Pokémon game for a console instead of a handheld. Especially with Internet support you could still trade pokemon online.

So those are just a few of my ideas what would you guys like to see?

I'm ready for them to blow us away with a Metroid or Star Fox HD blockbuster. Something different. Even F-Zero. I had high hopes after they teased us in Nintendoland. Super Metroid's sounds and areas/graphics/mood creeps me out. Imagine that in HD and surround sound.
Would definitely love to see a Star Fox & F-Zero as launch titles on the NX. If that would ever to happen then it would be a day one purchase for me. While I like the Metroid franchise, I've never truly warmed up to it. I guess I'm one of those few crazy people that enjoyed Metroid: Other M due to the different direction taken by Team Ninja. Of course, a new Zelda game is something that I'm expecting though I don't know if it will be a launch title, I certainly hope so.

Well, the Legend of Zelda, no doubt. I'd love to see more Donkey Kong Country, because that game series is awesome.

I would also like to see a real, 3-D RPG Pokémon game for a real console and not a handheld device. Pokémon Stadium was so disappointing to me because I fully expected to be able to take control and fight with my Pokémon. Instead I watched them go turn-based and hit nothing over and over... It was a bit of a bummer.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm really hoping an iteration of Animal Crossing launches with the NX. If Nintendo includes all sorts of these games mentioned in this thread, I think it can really help the sales of not only the individual games, but the console itself. This was one of the shortcomings of the Wii U in that it didn't launch with a great starting lineup. If Nintendo can release all sorts of games and the NX before the 2016 holiday, I think the NX will be a better success than the Wii U.

I'm taking a guess and saying the games we will see is
Pikmin 4
Zelda Wii U on the NX also
Super Smash Bros Championship Edition
3rd party support games.. There is a rumor a graphical PS4 game is coming to the NX also. I'm guessing metal gear solid v the phantom pain.
Mario Sunshine HD

Hopefully the NX will have a decent name.
NX'T Box...lol!! Just Kidding

I'm taking a guess and saying the games we will see is
Pikmin 4
Zelda Wii U on the NX also
Super Smash Bros Championship Edition
3rd party support games.. There is a rumor a graphical PS4 game is coming to the NX also. I'm guessing metal gear solid v the phantom pain.
Mario Sunshine HD

i would LOVE to see Sunshine HD. i wanted it for the wii u. Id be ok with WWE 17

I was a Indy Pro Wrestler for All Pro Wrestling in Hayward CA. Allprowrestling. Com so I deffently would like to see WWE 17 or any other Wrestling games grace the system. Mario Sunshine HD is just a matter of time before it show up.

I'm sure you're right about Sunshine, wait you WRESTLED! with my avatar i guess you know where i stand. Huge fan here. Maybe you can pull some strings and get us some kind of NX wrestling!

I was the soldier Billy Rage. I retired when I got married in 2009. I had a great time back in the day. I wish I could get us a Wrestling game on the NX. Indy wrestlers don't have that type of pull. Lol. I have played pretty much every Wrestling game in and out of the arcades from 1980 to present day. The good and the bad ones.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back