Switch memory cards

Shane

From
Illinois
I'm buying a 128GB memory card for my Switch. Are you buying a memory card for it?

The good news is that, going by Amazon pricing at least, memory prices have fallen, while the memory requirements of the Switch have remained pretty much the same as the Wii U - with the new Zelda being a 13GB download and the Bomberman R game being a 4GB download, on the Switch.

A 200GB card isn't that expensive... I might pick up one of those then hope that by the time I fill it up 512GB cards arrive and are cheap enough.

Yeah I'll need to look into a memory card or two sometime. I've been downloading more games recently.

i have to admit, this about the Switch i am glad about. I JUST bought a 3 TB hd for the wii u, and i was worried id be doing that again. Memory cards are cheaper

Maybe the 128 or 256 because the 512 GB is a little expensive.

And is vapor ware. Even if you had a couple grand you can't buy a 512gb MicroSDXC no matter how hard you look for one.

This thing really isn't viable to go all digital for.

Because 256 GB isn't enough to have all your games on it at a time once you get a sizable collection going.

If you buy only Nintendo games then maybe, but if you buy a lot of third party games that come out on it then even 512 and 1 TB aren't going to be enough either. Nintendo tends to make their games have small file sizes but universally across the board that's not the case.

It's really not that hard to fill 2-3 TB worth of memory on a PS4 or Xbox One.

I'm sorry GunGunW, but you just seem to be talking like games will be the 25-60GB monstrosity they are on the XBox One/PS4, when that simply isn't going to be the case. Skyrim and FIFA for example are going to be enhanced versions of PS3/360, rather than crippled versions of PS4/XBox One. Games will have smaller textures on the Switch than on the PS4/XBox One and the final filesize will be like half the size.

If that's the case then it would be fine I guess. I still run out of space on my 250 GB HD on my 360 so I would want something larger than 256. 512 GB should do the trick, then. I'm still not fully convinced that there won't be any 20-30 GB games on there, but I suppose if they're far and few between then it's fine.

If games stay about the size of Wii U games, then based on my spread I might only need 350gb, so 512gb will be plenty.

My collection :

Pokken Tournament (demo), paper Mario Color Splash, Lost Reavers notice, Skunk Bundle, Beginners Japanese, Human Resource Machine, Gunman Clive HD, Never Alone, Year Walk, Kirby Mass Attack, Typoman, Mini Mario & Friends, Mario party 2, The Bridge, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Freedom Planet, Super Mario ghalaxy, Super paper Mario, Woah Dave, Yoshi's Story, Zelda majora;s mask, Severed, Zelda Spirirt Tracks, Mario kart 64, amiibo tap, Kirby's Epic yarn, OlliOlli, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mario Golf, Kirby Squeakm Squad, Loat Reavers, SteamWorld Heist, Mario Luigi partners in Time,Swords and Solders II, Kirby 64 Crystal Shards, Twiilight princess HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's return to Dreamland, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario 64, Super mario 64, Legend of Kay, SteamWorld Dig, Tetrobot and Co, Affordable Space Adventures, Teslagrad, Shadow puppeteer, The Fall, Sportsball, Yoshi's Wolly World,Pokemon Pinball R&S, Runbow, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, GEOM, Citizens of Earth,Splatoon, Guacameelee, SI2, Paper Monsters, Mario pinball land, Mario Advance, Bayonetta 2, Pushmo World, Crunchyroll, Blok Drop U, Shovel knight, Stick it to the Man, Lego batman 3, Armillo, Lego teh Hobbit, Mario party10, Nes Remix 2, Zelda Minish Cap, Kirby amazing Mirror, Child of Light, Bayonetta, Mario & luigi, Mario Advance 3, Dr. Luigi, RUSH, Toki Tori, Edge, The Lego movie, Giana Sisters, Mario vs Donkey Kong tipping stars, Pokemoin Rumble U, NES Remix, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash bros, Windwaker HD, Art Academnt Sketchpad, Assasins Creed IV Black Flag, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wii party U, Harvest Moon, Lego batman 2, Earthbound, Lego marvel, Zelda II The adventuse of Link, SMG the lost levels, Metroid, Fast Racing Neo, Wonderful 101, D&D Chronicles of Mystery, Pikmin 3, Solomans Key, Ducktales Remastered, Sonic lost World, Trine 2, Game and Wario, Cloudberry Kingdom, Chasing Aurora, Little inferno, Mighht Swiutch Force HD, Runner 2, Kirbnys dream course, F-Zero NES, Monster Hunters 3, Kirby fdream land 3, Yoshi NES, Jeopardy, Puddle, Nano Assult Neo, Mario kart 8, Sonic Transformed, Rayman legends, Rabbids land, Battle for Earth, Darksiders II, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Kirby Super Star, Zeldas link to past, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Punch-out, Baloon Fight, Super Mario bros 2, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario bros 3, Assassins Creed III. netflix, Nintendo land, New Super Mario Bros, Lego City Undercover.
All bought legally, though I did use Humble Bundle and discounts.

I received a 256gb card when I purchased my Note7 and didn't have to give it back during the recall so I am all set. 128gb cards are not that expensive and will be large enough unless your planning to go all digital which I am not.

If games stay about the size of Wii U games, then based on my spread I might only need 350gb, so 512gb will be plenty.

My collection : Pokken Tournament (demo), paper Mario Color Splash, Lost Reavers notice, Skunk Bundle, Beginners Japanese, Human Resource Machine, Gunman Clive HD, Never Alone, Year Walk, Kirby Mass Attack, Typoman, Mini Mario & Friends, Mario party 2, The Bridge, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Freedom Planet, Super Mario galaxy, Super paper Mario, Woah Dave, Yoshi's Story, Zelda majora;s mask, Severed, Zelda Spirirt Tracks, Mario kart 64, amiibo tap, Kirby's Epic yarn, OlliOlli, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mario Golf, Kirby Squeakm Squad, Loat Reavers, SteamWorld Heist, Mario Luigi partners in Time,Swords and Solders II, Kirby 64 Crystal Shards, Twiilight princess HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's return to Dreamland, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario 64, Super mario 64, Legend of Kay, SteamWorld Dig, Tetrobot and Co, Affordable Space Adventures, Teslagrad, Shadow puppeteer, The Fall, Sportsball, Yoshi's Wolly World,Pokemon Pinball R&S, Runbow, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, GEOM, Citizens of Earth,Splatoon, Guacameelee, SI2, Paper Monsters, Mario pinball land, Mario Advance, Bayonetta 2, Pushmo World, Crunchyroll, Blok Drop U, Shovel knight, Stick it to the Man, Lego batman 3, Armillo, Lego teh Hobbit, Mario party10, Nes Remix 2, Zelda Minish Cap, Kirby amazing Mirror, Child of Light, Bayonetta, Mario & luigi, Mario Advance 3, Dr. Luigi, RUSH, Toki Tori, Edge, The Lego movie, Giana Sisters, Mario vs Donkey Kong tipping stars, Pokemoin Rumble U, NES Remix, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash bros, Windwaker HD, Art Academnt Sketchpad, Assasins Creed IV Black Flag, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wii party U, Harvest Moon, Lego batman 2, Earthbound, Lego marvel, Zelda II The adventuse of Link, SMG the lost levels, Metroid, Fast Racing Neo, Wonderful 101, D&D Chronicles of Mystery, Pikmin 3, Solomans Key, Ducktales Remastered, Sonic lost World, Trine 2, Game and Wario, Cloudberry Kingdom, Chasing Aurora, Little inferno, Mighht Swiutch Force HD, Runner 2, Kirbnys dream course, F-Zero NES, Monster Hunters 3, Kirby fdream land 3, Yoshi NES, Jeopardy, Puddle, Nano Assult Neo, Mario kart 8, Sonic Transformed, Rayman legends, Rabbids land, Battle for Earth, Darksiders II, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Kirby Super Star, Zeldas link to past, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Punch-out, Baloon Fight, Super Mario bros 2, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario bros 3, Assassins Creed III. netflix, Nintendo land, New Super Mario Bros, Lego City Undercover.
All bought legally, though I did use Humble Bundle and discounts.

Yeah, 350GB is plenty if you managed to fit all that on it! On my WiiU, I was using USB flash drives, and 32GB ones were so annoying that I had to spread out all my games over four drives. When I discovered that you could use higher limits than the 32GB limit that Nintendo initially set by simply formatting them to Fat16, I later replaced them for two 64GB ones, which fits all my currently downloaded games, but still wasn't anywhere near enough for what I'd need for future ones (and I'm not gonna lie, it did put me off downloading many eShop games that I wanted because of how annoying this was to keep having to power down the whole console just to change over which USB drive was plugged in) - So I hope the Switch lets you swap out memory cards using a more instant plug-and-play method rather than having to power down the console each time, because that really did get annoying!

(obviously going the route of using a proper external hard drive would have solved that whole problem, and would have also solved the issue of how much of a pain it was to try and figure out which of my drives had which games and associated data stored on it). But obviously, a proper external hard drive would be too bulky for a portable console like the Switch. So SD cards are definitely the way to go! Even though it will be more expensive, I'm probably going to get the biggest one I can find so that I'm not limited that way. It's good to see someone mention that they found 512GB, but judging by what you fit on your 256GB card, that may actually be sufficient.

Of course, we are still yet to hear the full details of what the new online subscription services will offer. (so if that turns out to have online cloud storage data for all that stuff, it may not even be necessary to buy such a big SD card). I have no idea whether they will actually do this, but is probably the only thing that would get me to subscribe to this. (However, I totally would for this reason alone, if that was the case!)

I bought 2 64 ones. Couldn't really afford anything bigger with 2 Switches, games and the accessories. I am a physical copy person but there is always games in the store that I want and can only get digital. So will be upgrading in the future but right now I think we are ok.

Yeah, there's certainly no rush. I know I will definitely need them at some point, but that'll come later as things start to fill up. From day one onwards I'm pretty much going to be dedicating my time to Zelda, which is on cartridge anyway for now. As more digital games get released though, I do tend to be a bit of an addict though for buying digital games from the eShop whenever I have enough space. (so in some ways limiting myself at the beginning is probably for my own good!)

YOWZERS! I hope they don't all get that big, or I might end up having to stock up on sd cards!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back