The Downfall of Wii U

Though, admittedly it would be nice to have Call of Duty on Wii U as well.

Well, I just read somewhere that a game developer couldn't make a port over from PS4 to the Wii U because they couldn't keep the quality up with the inferior technology. That alone should tell everyone what is going on. The Wii U is not up to snuff and game developers will not make games that are actually slowing down the evolution of game development.

I understand that, but if the Xbox 360 and PS3 version can get a version I feel as if the Wii U can as well.

Could that be Nintendos fault? They were always known to be the "Rated G" console of the big 3. Maybe it was just too graphically intense with all the death and carnage. I'm sure they could of done a version of the game for Nintendo, but would they allow it? Was licensing an issue? We don't know.

That's always a possibility. I feel that Nintendo is starting to come around, but I think they're not completely there yet. Resident Evil: Revelations was on Wii U and 3DS, however, Revelations 2 was on neither of those systems.

I think we need to stop comparing Nintendo with Xbox and PlayStation. They are not trying to compete with the big guys in terms of graphics or 3rd party games (the Wii showed that) because it's already a saturated market. Microsoft and Sony are taking up all of the room at the top. So what do we have left? Well, a console that has a different way of thinking and pushing the envelope in terms of fun vs. technology.

What does it means to us as gamers? You're probably going to want an Xbox or a PlayStation AND a Nintendo console, because they do and have different things. I mean, most of us have a computer, a cell phone, handheld gaming device, and a console that all play games... So it is so far-fetched to think that one would buy a Xbox One and a Wii U/Nintendo NX?

I think we need to stop comparing Nintendo with Xbox and PlayStation. They are not trying to compete with the big guys in terms of graphics or 3rd party games (the Wii showed that) because it's already a saturated market. Microsoft and Sony are taking up all of the room at the top. So what do we have left? Well, a console that has a different way of thinking and pushing the envelope in terms of fun vs. technology.

What does it means to us as gamers? You're probably going to want an Xbox or a PlayStation AND a Nintendo console, because they do and have different things. I mean, most of us have a computer, a cell phone, handheld gaming device, and a console that all play games... So it is so far-fetched to think that one would buy a Xbox One and a Wii U/Nintendo NX?

seriously, this is THE best way i've seen it explained. its not negative, and its the honest truth. you get 100 cool points!

@Hyrule Chicken I just can't agree with that mentality. If it was like the last two generations where it was about half the price as the competition that would be one thing. But it's almost the same price as an Xbox One which can do way more than it. I love the Wii U, but I really think Nintendo needs to up their game and release a console comparable to the other two if they're going to release the NX mid generation. As I've said before, I like that Nintendo isn't doing everything they're doing, because there are certainly things about Xbox and PlayStation that I don't like. I don't think they need to conform to them. They don't need to put in a Blu Ray player or make mandatory installs or anything like that, but at least make hardware as powerful if not more than the competition.

Plus, you say is it far-fetched to believe we all would buy two consoles? For you and I, maybe. But what about the people that can only afford one? Wouldn't you rather them go for the Nintendo console if they're only going to have one? Because as it stands right now, they're not going to pick the Wii U over one of the other two unless they're already a hardcore Nintendo fan like us, and even if they do they're going to miss out on too much for it to be worth it.

@Hyrule Chicken I just can't agree with that mentality. If it was like the last two generations where it was about half the price as the competition that would be one thing. But it's almost the same price as an Xbox One which can do way more than it. I love the Wii U, but I really think Nintendo needs to up their game and release a console comparable to the other two if they're going to release the NX mid generation. As I've said before, I like that Nintendo isn't doing everything they're doing, because there are certainly things about Xbox and PlayStation that I don't like. I don't think they need to conform to them. They don't need to put in a Blu Ray player or make mandatory installs or anything like that, but at least make hardware as powerful if not more than the competition.

Plus, you say is it far-fetched to believe we all would buy two consoles? For you and I, maybe. But what about the people that can only afford one? Wouldn't you rather them go for the Nintendo console if they're only going to have one? Because as it stands right now, they're not going to pick the Wii U over one of the other two unless they're already a hardcore Nintendo fan like us, and even if they do they're going to miss out on too much for it to be worth it.

Yes, pricing is key. To be honest, for me the Wii was as close as an impulse buy as you can get with a new console. I had no plans to purchase one until my friend called me saying he walked into a Radio Shack (now known at the Source in Canada) and they had 5-6 on the shelf (this was when the Wii just came out and no one could find them anywhere) so I told him to get me one. I don't regret it one bit. Now, if the console had been $399... Yeah, I may not have bought one. So your point about pricing is absolutely valid.

I also agree with you on hardware. The Wii's resolution was a disappointment. I have a 1080p HD TV and I would want my console to take full advantage of this. That's the minimum for me, and like you say Blu-ray and mandatory installs don't matter to me as much either.

As for the multiple consoles... It's kind of like that already. I don't own a PlayStation so I've never played the God of War series, or Uncharted, or Heavy Rain, etc. so we're already missing on a lot of great games. The same can be said with Xbox and Halo, Fables, etc. If we choose to have only one console, then we're sacrificing playing some exclusives. It's up to Nintendo to release games that people will want to play over PS or Xbox.

@Hyrule Chicken but what I mean is that there are games that come to the other three major platforms and not Wii U. I just wish that Nintendo's console would be powerful enough to handle the third party stuff like Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, etc. Though I don't think it's entirely that, I think Nintendo themselves can be hard on third parties and they would have to prove themselves with console sales before they would want their games on the platform.

[...]I just wish that Nintendo's console would be powerful enough to handle the third party stuff like Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, etc.

I cannot argue with this point. If it can't have those games, it should have something at least comparable (you know, like a Nintendo version of GTA where you cause chaos in the Mushroom Kingdom, haha). The graphics should be current generation graphics, especially if I can buy a video card for $100 that will blow any console out of the water.

You bring up a good point about power of a console that reminded me of something. I originally played Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on the Wii, and then years later saw it on special for the Xbox 360 and picked it up... I couldn't believe how much was cut from the game in the Wii version! Entire levels, cut-scenes... I mean, ultimately I was somewhat happy because playing it again on the Xbox 360 because it's a fun game (SW:TFU is one of my favourite games, in fact) but still, if I'm going to pay $60 for a game on the Wii, I'd expect it to be the same as the $60 Xbox 360 game.

I suspect that you're right about how Nintendo feels about 3rd party and I wonder if Nintendo wishes they didn't have to deal with them at all, but doing so wouldn't make business sense since they are competing with Sony and Microsoft.

Would you buy a Nintendo NX console if it was only first party exclusive titles?

@Hyrule Chicken I would absolutely. Because Nintendo is my first choice... but I would still be upset. Especially if it was expensive.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back