Wii U will be discontinued later this year

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Playing
GameCube
Japanese newspaper Nikkei reports that Nintendo is giving up on the Wii U and will stop manufacturing the console by the end of 2016. The halt of Wii U manufacturing is now going to fully coincide with the launch of the Nintendo NX.

If you remember, last year Nintendo Forums correctly predicted that Nintendo NX would be launched in November 2016. Our second prediction at that time was that NX would launch with the Legend of Zelda game that was originally planned for Wii U.

We bid farewell to Wii U as we start to gear up for playing Zelda on the NX in less than 8 months!

I can't believe this... I just can't. The Wii U is a good system in my opinion with good games, so it makes me sad that this console didn't get a good five years like other systems. Sure it had some flaws, but it still was a good console to me. This makes me so sad... :( I wish you luck with the NX Nintendo, though. Thanks for telling us this, crunchyg.

Man. Looking forward to NX i guess, but i am still enjoying everything on Wii u and 3ds. Just bought AC new leaf a few days ago, which was my first venture into AC. Pretty fun so far! And pokken only just came out not to mention Starfox which is not out. I hope Nintendo will not blame the Starfox brand if Zero flops, they should blame themselves for releasing a new console 7 months later.

Im wondering if they are going to replace the 3ds too soon. Im hoping not so that i can get the NX and have that 3ds to NX compatibility like we can with the wii u.

What? No :(
I'm with Nomekop, no matter how excited I am to the NX I can't still afford some of the games I want to play, especially in the DS since I don't own a Wii U (but my friend does, and that's where I play).

I'm honestly rather surprised that the Wii U performed as poorly and lasted as briefly as it did! I didn't really expect it to be as huge of a success for Nintendo as the Wii was, but I regardless still thought that it would be more successful than it was! That being said, the Wii U is still far from being the disaster that The Virtual Boy was (for example) and I'm moreover sure that the Nintendo brand will recover and be as strong as ever in the years to come! My fingers are crossed for better things with the NX!

I'm honestly rather surprised that the Wii U performed as poorly and lasted as briefly as it did! I didn't really expect it to be as huge of a success for Nintendo as the Wii was, but I regardless still thought that it would be more successful than it was! That being said, the Wii U is still far from being the disaster that The Virtual Boy was (for example) and I'm moreover sure that the Nintendo brand will recover and be as strong as ever in the years to come! My fingers are crossed for better things with the NX!
I know, when it was first announced, I thought it would be really successful too. :eek: And I don't quite understand why people dislike(d) it so much. But, I'm thinking that the NX will do pretty well too because they seem to be working on it pretty hard.

To be honest, I was never a huge fan of the Wii U. I always thought that it was just a uncreative console that needed to be displayed to keep Nintendo players yearning for more (especially because Sony was coming out with their console that same time). Although the controller was innovative and the graphics were much better, there was nothing "awe" about it. With this said, I seriously cannot wait until NX comes out later this year! It's truly going to be a refreshing sight in store for us!

Well that is a little disappointing to hear, but then again maybe it means that we are on to bigger and better things. I guess, now that I think about it, this is probably for the best, but something there is still making me a little sad. I still think of the Wii as a game changer, so maybe that is playing a role here. Anyways, thanks for sharing.

The Wii U proved Nintendo could still churn out good systems why on earth would they discontinue?

^ Ignore it this Paper is often BS. Nintendo will be making them at least until next year.

Well that is a little disappointing to hear, but then again maybe it means that we are on to bigger and better things. I guess, now that I think about it, this is probably for the best, but something there is still making me a little sad. I still think of the Wii as a game changer, so maybe that is playing a role here. Anyways, thanks for sharing.
The Wii U proved Nintendo could still churn out good systems why on earth would they discontinue?
I know, I liked the Wii U too. :( Although, I believe shortly after the Japanese newspaper Nikkei said this, Nintendo said this was incorrect and they wouldn't be discontinuing the Wii U production later this year. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think it's likely that Nintendo won't be discontinuing the Wii U until sometime in 2017 after the NX releases. Either way, I'll still miss the Wii U when it's done. :(

Just because Nintendo is discontinuing the Wii U doesn't mean that everyone's units will stop working. I'll still be playing games on mine and will be able to buy games for it long after. It's a little weird to be saying that you'll miss it. It will be unfortunate, but retailers will still be clearing out their stock until the NX comes out.

I personally think that it will definitely pass to history, Microsoft and Sony are about to launch two of their best pasterpieces and I really believe that the Wii U is pretty much on the middle of the way, but it's going to be taken off soon, it's a shame, I know, but Nintendo did not really work hard enough to keep it on top.

OK, I just don't see how they could do that. From all the good news about sales that I have heard from my sources, I don't think they would just stop production on the system, especially if they know more and more people are wanting it. It'd be nice if they just come out with the NX already. I want to know more about the system, this makes anticipation for me a lot less than it used to be.

So I did some reading on the previous gaming console from Nintendo. According to Wikipedia, the following are the lifespan, or the retail availability of the previous consoles made by Nintendo:

Nintendo 64: 1996-2003
Gamecube: 2001-2007
Nintendo Wii: 2006-2013

Each console has a lifespan of around 7 to 8 years.

Nintendo Wii U was released near the end of year 2012, which means if it really would be discontinued, this would mean Wii U's lifespan would be the shortest among its "siblings".

Again this paper is false. And you can't really count the year they stopped selling the console. You look at the year they replaced the system. The average Nintendo system is 6 years. That's typically how consoles are measured. Wii U by 2017 will be it's 6th year so even if Wii U sold 75 million units it would still be replaced in 2017. NX comes out next year and the last Nintendo developed Wii U game. Gamecube was the shortest at 5 years. SNES was short as well but Super Famicom was normal 6. Nintendo typically replaces a system every 6 years. Exception was Gameboy where it was 8 years before Pocket came out. GBA was short as well. DS was 6 years.

^
Is that so? I see...... Exactly when is the new console considered to replace the old console entirely? When they stop releasing new games for the console?

I am surprised that GBA has a short lifespan. For me that is the console that I have played the longest, and in another topic I mentioned that I am having another go at Final Fantasy 6. I am still playing with it till this day.

To tell the truth I really wish Wii U could have a longer lifespan. I am really enjoying the current games, a shame that there's not much big hitters to attract the more diehard gamers.

For Nintendo day the new console releases. Nintendo rarely supports a system with new games after the new one is released with a couple exceptions. Sony is the opposite of Nintendo in this regard. I think the last Nintendo published N64 game was Conker in 2000 a year before GCN. Last Nintendo made Wii game..not sure maybe Zelda in 2011.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back