Will the Wii become the next NES in terms of collecting?

Rant62

Playing
3DS
Does anyone think the Wii (and it's accessories, games, etc) will become the next NES in terms of collecting in about ten years? I suspect it will as the kids who grew up playing Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii will become nostalgic for that, go out and try to get a Wii, and then learn of other great games on the system (Xenoblade, No More Heroes, Metroid Other M, etc). I could also say the same for the Nintendo DS and the PS2.

The Wii is too plentiful as a console to become that collectible. A few of its games will probably hold their value and be collectors items, things like xenoblade chronicles, metroid prime trilogy, the last story and so on but you will never see the console itself or its accessories going for major money unless they are some kind of rare special editions. The Wii U in 10 - 15 years will more than likely be collectible as will its games as they are both few in number. My advice is that if there are any special edition games for the Wii U released, especially if they are for the popular franchises like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros etc pick them up if you can because in the future there will definitely be a market for them for collectors.

Not really. It had roughly a total of 100 games overall that were REALLY good but besides those few it wasn't worth owning. By the time kids are nostalgic about Wii it will have perfect emulation and they'll get their fix that way.

Emulation doesn't really play a factor in how collectible a console and its games are. After all the NES is one of the easiest consoles to emulate, you can emulate it perfectly with pretty much anything and it is still massively collectible. The wii is far more complicated to emulate even input wise compared to the NES, after all you would have to emulate a motion sensing controller, IR sensors etc compared to a NES's four buttons and a dpad. There will ALWAYS be a market for real physical games over roms regardless of how perfect and easy the emulation is.

Oh no, I know that but it is however a factor for SOME. not ALL. I'm just mentioning it. Wii Emulation is already very underway and with a proper gaming rig, very easy. I just don't think it will become the NES of collecting because of the backwards compatibility of the Wii U also. There's alot of reasons but I stand by my initial "no" it won't become another NES of collecting..

Probably not as it was a plentiful unit and the Wii U has backwards compatibility. That said it will be probably be a more popular item in the future as people look to have the entire Nintendo set.

Yeah, that's the other thing too. The Wii was super overproduced and there is so many in circulation. NES is alot more scarce..

Yeah, that's the other thing too. The Wii was super overproduced and there is so many in circulation. NES is alot more scarce..

I wouldn't say that it is overproduced exactly, just that it has been produced to the level that it needed to be to fit the current climate and demand. Back when the NES came out we were still in the middle of the game industry crash, so few were made.

I wouldn't say that it is overproduced exactly, just that it has been produced to the level that it needed to be to fit the current climate and demand. Back when the NES came out we were still in the middle of the game industry crash, so few were made.

They are still selling them now... though..

No... I mean't nintendo wii's..
Oh. That was sort of my point though? People still want to buy them for some reason-god knows why, everyone must have four by now-so they're still making them.

Whereas back during the NES days, less were produced because gaming wasn't as big of a deal

I feel really old already because people are super nostalgic about the ps2 and emulating it better on PCs than the native hardware. I can't really imagine kids being too nostalgic for the wii though, it had a few awesome games like Super Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes but that's really about it IMO.

Not until we wait like 100 years. Not even exaggerating. Like Nintenyearold said, there are just soooo many Wiis out there now. Same problem with the PS2, since both have shipped an incredible amount of units (100m and 150m respectively).

I think all Nintendo consoles become "collector" consoles after a while. They are just so great that anyone should be happy owning them even when they are 30 years old.
It's not a "retro" thing, it's quality. Nintendo consoles offer a lot of fun, and they last very long. They're like the Nokia 3310 of consoles.

Nah, it's not nostalgic enough yet and the Wii U plays Wii games anyway so they're kinda outdated and "useless" systems. Unless you get Homebrew of course.

For me, yes. RVL-001 model is, but because it plays gamecube games, and the later model wii plus wii u dropped support for gamecube discs. Go buy a game cube, and then find a component cable for it so you can see some games in 480p and you will find the cable is 180-$200. Much easier to get a wii rvl-001 and component cables are a dime a dozen.

I dunno if the Wii will ever become highly collectable since, as others have said, a lot of them were produced. However, the fact that Wii can also play Gamecube games increases its appeal I think. Between the Wii library and GCN library, there are quite a few good games and I do think in the future people will feel nostalgia about the best ones (Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, etc) and want to repurchase the console and games. The question is, how much will the price rise? Some of the GCN games in particular are already fairly rare, so I can imagine those will only continue to rise.

Well, the Wii was certainly innovative in terms of gameplay, and there were numerous games that bolstered its popularity. However, like the others have said, there were too many consoles that were produced. Maybe special editions of the Wii would become collector's items.

It probably will, since it was as innovative and awesome as the NES back then. It has a bunch of great games and accessories, and I hope there might be some incarnation of a AVGN reviewing games on the Wii.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back