Will Wii U be able to compete in this generation?

So long as people hold it to be a niche console then it will be a niche console - however it will do just fine. Not least because it is still the best value, it has backwards compatibility, it has a pretty good line-up scheduled, and it's the "family" console. Those are all great sale points and either way... Pokemon will keep Nintendo afloat no matter what.

The only drivel here is the total hate trip and "just for the hell of it" bad press that NIntendo and the Wii U gets. in truth it's that constant stream of bad press and total uncalled for bashing that has hindered if not encouraged the ongoing struggles that the Wii U has faced. but it wont keep Nintendo down, they do what they do and do it well that's why their still around. they don't listen to this bullshit it just falls on deaf ears. so keep it up. true gamers know what they want without listening to any journalism because we have brains and free will. And Nintendo is already working on another Pokemon game. And the Pokemon Movies keep pouring out. I lost count on how many Pokemon movies have been made. also the Pokemon TV show is Nintendo's longest running Nintendo tv series going back to the 1990's. And it is still running to this day with new episodes. Not to mention the clothes and other Nintendo products that are not games. Nintendo even made a stroller back in the 1970's before they got into video games. Also Don't forget about the projector Duck Hunt game that plays on the wall and you can shoot ducks. Nintendo makes more than video games. I used to own a Super Mario Bros Bean bag back in the 1980's. I even bought a Cambells Nintendo food product that I seen in the store. The noodles where shaped like Bricks, the fire flower and mushrooms and the Koopa shell. I think I've seen a commercial for that to. Also Nintendo had the love hotels back in the 70's, that where couples can buy a room for a few hours and get busy.

The Wii U has no chance.
Nintendo is making nothing but terrible decisions.
I read that Nintendo is now considering putting their efforts into Smart Phone technology in some way....
At what point will they learn?
This is what Nintendo needs to do to save themselves from becoming Sega:
  • Release a console (not handheld) with graphics that can compete with the PS4/Xboxone.
  • Give this console regular controllers. This means no motion censor crap.
  • Allow online competitive multiplayer for most games.

It's like these companies can't learn from each others' mistakes:
  • Wii's controllers were ridiculous and annoying, yet Microsoft decided to go the same path with Xbox One.
  • Microsoft tried to make the Xbox One a media hub instead of a gaming console, and now Nintendo wants to go the media device route.
People don't want that shit!
I'm sorry, but people already have iPads, iPhones, PC's, Macs, ect. They have the media connections they need and there is no reason to add it to our gaming consoles. This is a very huge part of why PS4 is doubling the Xbox in sales right now.
Computers and Smart Phones will always have an edge on media that consoles will never have... and consoles will always have an edge on gaming that smart phones will never have. This is why the two categories should be kept separate.

Nintendo's handheld devices can be cool, but they should always be considered a side project.

Give me Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Metroid, and Pokemon on an up-to-date console with cutting edge graphics and an easy to use controller and I'll give Nintendo all the money they want.
Nintendo hasn't released a single product since Game Cube that I feel deserves a penny from me.

Nintendo was always my favorite growing up. I'm not a Nintendo hater... but at this point, I can't wait for them to become the next Sega so I can finally play good Nintendo games on a console worth buying.

The Wii U game pad is not a tablet. It's a whole new way to experience the games and the gameplay. The Wiimote for the Wii is more active. only brainless trolls think that it's the worse controller. Also if Nintendo makes bad decisions. Than why does the Wii U work with no flaws while the xbox one and PS4 does NOT want to work? If you buy a 60 dollar game for the PS4 or the Xbox One. The system will eat the games. and that's 60 bucks wasted. the Wii U doesn't eat the games. Also you don't need just the Wii U game Pad to play the games. you can also used the Wii U Pro Controller and the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I can agree with Cepitore in some respects. Especially the lack of focus where focus should be spent. Trying to make a gaming console do a million things takes away from the most important thing it should be doing: Producing the best features to compliment the best games. I would personally prefer the next Nintendo venture to do just that.

That's just the thing. Nintendo is not focus on Media like Xbox One. It's a gaming console. The Entertainment System. And more games are being released for the Wii U. Unlike the Xbox One. Nintendo doesn't charge you to go online. It's free. Microsoft on the other hand charges you to go online when you already have the internet. Here is a list of the upcoming Wii U games. More games will be coming.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects Wii U
RPG

Not Available
March 25, 2014

Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts Wii U
Hunting

Activision
March 25, 2014

Hello Kitty Kruisers Wii U
Racing

Bergsala Lightweight
Q1 2014

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate -- Deluxe Edition Wii U
Action

Warner Bros. Interactive
April 2, 2014

LEGO: The Hobbit Wii U
Adventure

Warner Bros. Interactive
April 11, 2014

NES Remix 2 Wii U
Party

Nintendo
April 25, 2014

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island Wii U
Platformer

Nintendo
April 2014

Child of Light Wii U
RPG

Ubisoft
April 30, 2014

Metroid Fusion Wii U
Action , Adventure

Nintendo
April 2014

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Wii U
RPG

Nintendo
April 2014

Mario Kart 8 Wii U
Racing , Action

Nintendo
May 30, 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 Wii U
Flight , Action

Little Orbit
June 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2 Wii
Flight , Action

Little Orbit
June 2014

Art of Balance Wii U
Puzzle

Shin'en
Q2 2014

Teslagrad Wii U
Platformer , Action

Not Available
Q2 2014

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Wii U
Platformer , Action

DrinkBox
Q2 2014

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty Wii U
Adventure

Just Add Water Developments
Q2 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Wii U
Action

Activision
Q2 2014

Shovel Knight Wii U
Platformer , Adventure

Yacht Club Games
Q2 2014

Stick it to The Man Wii U
Adventure , Platformer

Zoink!
Q2 2014

The 90's Arcade Racer Wii U
Racing

Nicalis
Q2 2014

Soul Saga: Episode I Wii U
RPG

Not Available
Q3 2014

Uexplore: Affordable Space Adventures Wii U
Action

KnapNok Games
Q3 2014

Bayonetta 2 Wii U
Action

Not Available
TBA 2014

Another Castle Wii U
Platformer

Uncade
TBA 2014

Forma.8 Wii U
Action

MixedBag
TBA 2014

QUBE: Director's Cut Wii U
Puzzle

Toxic Games
TBA 2014

Wooden Sen’SeY Wii U
Platformer

Not Available
TBA 2014

Ballpoint Universe Infinite Wii U
Shooter

Arachnid Games
TBA 2014

Ittle Dew Wii U
Adventure

Ludosity Interactive
TBA 2014

Hyrule Warriors Wii U
Action

Nintendo
TBA 2014

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Wii U
Action

Activision
TBA 2014

1001 Spikes Wii U
Platformer

Nicalis
TBA 2014

The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup Wii U
Platformer

Gory Detail
TBA 2014

Monkey Mofo Wii U

Not Available
TBA 2014

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Wii U
Fighting

Nintendo
TBA 2014

Aztez Wii U
Strategy , Action

Team Colorblind
TBA 2014

Monkey Pirates Wii U

Henchmen Studio
TBA 2014

James Pond: Codename Robocod HD Wii U
Action

Not Available
TBA 2014

How to Survive Wii U
Action

505 Games
TBA 2014

The Pinball Arcade Wii U
Pinball

FarSight Studios
TBA 2014

X [Monolith Software] Wii U
RPG

Nintendo
TBA 2014

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails Wii U
Platformer

Dakko Dakko
TBA 2014

Dream Pinball 3D II Wii
Pinball

TopWare Interactive
TBA 2014

Watch Dogs Wii U
Action

Ubisoft
TBA 2014

Luv Me Buddies: Wonderland Wii U

Oxygene Media
TBA 2014

Mighty No. 9 Wii U
Action , Platformer

Comcept
Q2 2015

Human Element Wii U
Action

Robotoki
TBA 2015

Outdoors Unlimited Wii
Hunting

Mastiff
TBA

NintendoCosmos said:
The Wii U game pad is not a tablet. It's a whole new way to experience the games and the gameplay. The Wiimote for the Wii is more active. only brainless trolls think that it's the worse controller.
Brainless Trolls? Can you please state your opinion without being rude about it? I understand that you're stating a point, but c'mon now.. that's just mean.

I think the Wii U can compete with the next generation.. it does very well in the handheld department so it seems that they will be fine if the Wii U doesn't make as much as it should.

You need to cut back on using the Quote button. :p

Dude, seriously. Don't quote. Just reply in the box below.

lol Maybe that last quote was quintessential.

Couldn't the case be made that phones are taking away from the handheld department? They seem to be integrating everything necessary to enjoy a great game into the phones of today and tomorrow. That's a dangerous competition.

Cepitore said:
People don't want that shit!
I'm sorry, but people already have iPads, iPhones, PC's, Macs, ect. They have the media connections they need and there is no reason to add it to our gaming consoles. This is a very huge part of why PS4 is doubling the Xbox in sales right now.
Computers and Smart Phones will always have an edge on media that consoles will never have... and consoles will always have an edge on gaming that smart phones will never have. This is why the two categories should be kept separate.
The thing to remember is that our opinions are not in fact - facts. You found the Wii controllers annoying, but nobody I know has ever said that. Because the Wii controllers are actually very easy to use. This is way different from the Kinect which was always something added on. Kinect =/= Wii Controller So that's one thing.

Another thing is that graphics matter only so much depending on the game - making your system create the prettiest picture means nothing if it has nothing to run or doesn't run well. See PS3 which lost very, very hard to the 360 and the Wii. Also the WiiU tablet is actually quite awesome to use - have you actually played it or are you too busy repeating the same points people who have never played these consoles always make? And of course - I hate multiplayer... many people hate multiplayer. Multiplayer is not the be-all and end-all of gaming. I'd rather have innovative single-player over the same tired multiplayer mechanics.

There is a massive difference between social media and connecting to various forms - Nintendo is not trying to be Twitter, they are just trying to capitalize on some of the hype generated by games like TitanFall and WatchDogs. Both of which are all about using things like tablets, smartphones, and the like. People actually do apparently like said option despite your personal dislike of them. So yeah.

Thank you for your opinion, but don't act like you know it all.

The Wii-u gets a lot of flak for some reason, I don't understand. The xbox one, objectively, is a bigger failure in my opinion. It runs worse than the ps4, costs MORE, has less games and other issues. People will at least flock the wiiu for the latest Smash offering, if nothing else.

I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say;no. At least, not if they continue the way they are. Yes, Nintendo has enough money that they can lose money hand over frst for years until they're truly bankrupt, but if they continue the way they're going, I think the Wii U is going to be the Gamecube of this generation. A nice little console with some great games, but not a real contender beside the big boys. And that's shameful. They shouldn't have designed an 'upgrade' to a console, but rather a totally new console, which is how I believe the majority of people are viewing it.

Personally I don't think that it will be able to compete with the Xbox one and the PS4. I mean ever since the release of the Wii U they have been suffering in terms of sales and I don't think that they will be able to recover. However I do think that Nintendo has the ability to bounce back if they go back to the drawing boards and think about where they went wrong with the WII U. For now I can't see them catching up to the capabilities of the Xbox one and the PS4 with the WII U.

I do not think it will be able to compete this generation. Its really not like the wii did either, it just had a huge amount of sales early on but afterwards people kind of forgot about it unless they were into very niche titles or just liked playing SMG a lot.

Actually, the Wii continued to have very high sales throughout its lifetime. To the point that it seemed like people were buying five wiis for themselves, but considering there was never any mass hysteria about them bricking, it seems unlikely that this was happening. The Wii just continued to be a juggernaut in the last gen.

Well, I do think Nintendo has stuck with being a niche thing since it first came out. It's the only game system you can play LoZ series of games. However, I've heard a lot of conflicting issues about the Wii U and I honestly don't know if I want to drop the bucks on one. Can anyone here give me the pros and cons of the Wii U? Because it does seemed to have bombed in the market.

At this point in time, the Wii U is doing terribly. It's the worst performing game console that Nintendo has ever released, which is a crying shame. A big part of the problem is lack of developer support from 3rd parties and that's something Nintendo need to address soon. I hope the upcoming NX will be a system that will attract developers the same way the rival consoles have been able to. Nintendo also need to improve their marketing, this is an area that also requires much improvement.

Latest threads

Back